Hijack!

Llama

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

Hey Cliff, are those items actually available yet? I see them on the website, but none of the (Canadian) distributors  I looked at sell them. In past, SawStop has shown stuff on their website that wasn't release for sale yet. Kinda goofy.

That router lift looks exactly like the Excalibur that General used to make. I've got one that I'm finally building a router table for.

Says pricing would be available early 2018. I think. I'm trying to price out my final price on the sawstop but I want those things with it and I don't know if I go buy a saw in Feb/March if it will have the correct rails, so I wish they would just get the info out there. 

24 minutes ago, I B said:

I've been reading about cast iron cookware lately and I think I'm going to give it a shot. Any of you guys get down with that? 

I only use Cast iron as well. Do you have gas or electric for your cooktop? The house i just moved into had a flat glass electric cooktop and it was the first thing i replaced. Electric works but induction or gas is far better with cast iron.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Traditional raised element electric stoves work ok but gas is best. Of course I've never tried induction.....

Ah yes you are right but i forgot about them because i never see them any more. I had one in an apartment when i was renting and that's the last stove like that I've seen.

• Like 1

Just now, I B said:

If I can't find anything old, could I sand a new one so it's smooth?

Yes, i saws it on youtube there for it must be true.

Jokes aside still yes, the smooths ones from ye olden days were basically the same just smoothed at the factory. They don't do that now probably to save money and time. I want to give it a shot on one of the pans i have but i didn't get an angle grinder for Christmas :( Maybe I'll get one for my birthday.

Just now, Chestnut said:

Yes, i saws it on youtube there for it must be true.

Jokes aside still yes, the smooths ones from ye olden days were basically the same just smoothed at the factory. They don't do that now probably to save money and time. I want to give it a shot on one of the pans i have but i didn't get an angle grinder for Christmas :( Maybe I'll get one for my birthday.

I burned a meal so bad in the dutch oven that I actually had to use my angle grinder to get the charcoal out. Doesn't seem to have done any harm an all. Just reseasoned it.

I wouldn't hesitate to use abrasives to smooth out a rough pan.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You do have to re season it after you grind it obviously. I've cooked on some smooth cast iron and with it being smooth the seasoning isn't as critical to keeping it nonstick. Either that or the seasoning just worked better.

@drzaius The mental image of someone cleaning a pan in their sink with an angle grinder makes me laugh. I realize you didn't do it that way but it's funnier my way.

• Haha 1

Never tried sanding one. Old "Wagner Ware"  is another decent brand.  I hate the new" Lodge" stuff.  

I've used soap with no harm done but the trick to using cast iron is wipe it out while it's still warm and put a little oil on it before you put it away. My cast iron lives in the drawer under the oven or in the bottom of the oven. Nice , warm and dry.   You can scrub with coarse kosher salt under a folded paper towel  if something sticks. Then wipe it out & re-oil .

Things like a Dutch oven or one of those cornbread pans don't seem to matter if there is texture on the inside, it just needs to be well seasoned . Some flea markets have booths that sell re-seasoned old cast iron.

Cast iron is great. My wife has an old skillet of her father's. It had some rust on it, but after a little electrolysis and some seasoning, it's now the best skillet we own. Steaks etc. are *so* much better than in regular skillets. Get a great sear on the outside, keeps its high temp so you actually cook the meat rather than dry it out. Yum.

• Like 1

I also cook on cast iron pots and pans. Interesting to see how many of us do. 

I like to visit antique shops. Mostly looking for old Stanley hand planes. I don't buy much, but I have seen old cast iron pans with very reasonable prices. Offhand I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be as good as a new pan. Plus you get the good feeling of being environmentally friendly by reusing something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I B said:

I've been reading about cast iron cookware lately and I think I'm going to give it a shot. Any of you guys get down with that? 

This is the stuff we use. No complaints at all. It's as smooth as a baby's butt and I can cook a fried egg with a little butter and it's like a non stick pan. 

http://www.lodgemfg.com

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I think the old pans are far better than the new ones., unless you plan to spend hours with an angle grinder to smooth & finish a rough casting.

Our Lodge pans we bought 6 years ago are still as smooth and perfect as the day we bought them. Like anything, there is good and bad stuff out there. I recommend the Lodge brand.

I use cast iron mostly, if not cast iron then stainless steel. The newest one I have is about 10 years old, I have no idea how old the others are. They were given to me from family. I love using the cast iron on my Weber Kettle, so satisfying.

Many years ago an ice storm knocked the power out at my last apartment. I lit my little Big Green Egg , grabbed my cast iron skillet and a copper coffee pot. Within 30 minutes the smell of bacon drew attention. Several neighbors joined me with food they had no way to cook.

• Like 2

Everybody has/had a grandma or two and every grandma had a cast iron skillet. Check with your siblings and see if they absconded with yours;)! I bet you can find one at Goodwill. Steaks, French fries and cornbread are just a few of the things that come out great when cooked in a cast iron skillet! 

• Like 2