Hijack!

Llama

22 hours ago, lewisc said:

Yep. This country is insane. So many people here. In Melbourne, at night time, the city gets quiet and you can drive around easily without much drama. In New York, it just gets busier. I’ve never seen a city quite like it.  I must’ve walked a marathon in the last few days and it seems like the surface has barely been scratched. 

We just trained up to Boston and will hire a car and travel north for a few days, before making the journey south. 

Its so cold up here!!   

If you think New York and the US are too busy, avoid south east Asia, like Hong Kong or Tokyo, those will blow your mind. Not nearly as cold though!

4 hours ago, Isaac said:

If you think New York and the US are too busy, avoid south east Asia, like Hong Kong or Tokyo, those will blow your mind. Not nearly as cold though!

I went to Japan a few years ago. It was one of my favourite destinations so far. Tokyo didn't seem as hectic though and for a city that size, was extremely clean. Maybe I didn't go to the not-so-clean parts.  We made our way to a Sumo tournament and spent and afternoon enjoying that.

I warned ya

Yep. Layers upon layers. We're staying in the White Mountains in NH and the couple of days after we leave is meant to be -18C.

10915126_10152988738612243_216965016914153602_o.jpg

Today I received my first ever ebay purchase of lumber. This is a 2 1/4" thick 4' long 15" wide piece of spalted maple. Kiln dried. It's nice. Live edge, though I'm using it for the jewelry box panels so the live edge is getting cut anyway. Ebay, I'm discovering, is a great place to pick up really great one off boards.

spalt.thumb.jpg.9f2d94da7e34ee6b571b477c3d1643bc.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

How do they ship something like that? 

They just folded old boxes around it and slapped a shipping label on it. 

56 minutes ago, Alan G said:

Nice. What’s the price comparison between eBay and your local supplier?

It's really not bad. According to my estimate that piece is between 11-12 bf. I paid $70 + $43 s/h. The board I got a few weeks ago that was similar except only 4/4 thickness was $93. And, it was the last piece of spalted maple they had. If anything, this piece is in better condition. It's got some rough spots, but overall the board is much harder than the piece form the hardwood store, which was soft enough in places that I could indent it with my fingernail. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

They just folded old boxes around it and slapped a shipping label on it. 

It's really not bad. According to my estimate that piece is between 11-12 bf. I paid $70 + $43 s/h. The board I got a few weeks ago that was similar except only 4/4 thickness was $93. And, it was the last piece of spalted maple they had. If anything, this piece is in better condition. It's got some rough spots, but overall the board is much harder than the piece form the hardwood store, which was soft enough in places that I could indent it with my fingernail. 

I haven't worked with spalted, though I do have a piece of Ash I purchased that wound up being spalted (just didn't realize it until I took a plane to it). I understand the spalting is a deteriorating process, so I guess softer wood would always be a risk.

I'm thinking of building a sideboard/buffet. I'm planning to use either ash or cherry for the carcass. I will have some good sized panels on cabinet doors to fill and I'm thinking of using 1/4" plywood. I'm looking for suggestions on what wood for the plywood to pair with the cherry  or ash (assuming the answer would be different for each of these)? 

6 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I've used the Everstart batteries. Can't tell any significant difference over other brands. If your battery is 10 years old, I'd say you have about 30 seconds left before it refuses to start your vehicle.

Battery tech is going down hill cause my last one was the original and lasted 12 years. It's not like i live in a temperate paradise either this morning was -18 according to my co-worker. Noted i think i'm going to buy it from walmart. They change it out for free too.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Any one use EverStart batteries in their car from walmart? This -15F weather has reminded me my battery is 10 years old and is tired.

I have one in my tractor and have used them over the years in my kids cars with no issues. It has been a bit brisk here over the last few days LOL

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I have one in my tractor and have used them over the years in my kids cars with no issues. It has been a bit brisk here over the last few days LOL

A bit.

I was reminded as a argued with the guy that worked at wlamart why i have always avoided that place. The guy tried to tell me to install a battery that doesn't physically fit in my vehicle because the book told him it was the right one. I told him the service manual for my vehicle disagrees with his book and he could shove his 3rd party manual where the sun doesn't shine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RichardA said:

My, my,  Rude, crude and socially unacceptable. But it does sometimes feel good.

Yeah well he wouldn't listen to my insistence that i knew what battery was supposed to be in my vehicle through both research and the fact it has a little heat shield that doesn't fit over the one that he was trying to push on me. I asked him if not running the heat shield would void the warranty and i was screwed either way i guess.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Yeah well he wouldn't listen to my insistence that i knew what battery was supposed to be in my vehicle through both research and the fact it has a little heat shield that doesn't fit over the one that he was trying to push on me. I asked him if not running the heat shield would void the warranty and i was screwed either way i guess.

The one I mentioned above for my sil, I took it inside at 6:45 and he reminded me that they closed in 15 but he would check the old one anyway, like thanks for the favor! I don’t even buy toilet paper or cow manure for my garden anymore. Not that my garden needs toilet paper;)

I had to drill a stud that was over torqued by a highly reputable shop that replaced my clutch. There will always be a new guy assigned to menial tasks like re-installing wheels. The first one you break should caution you about use of impact drivers to set torque. I don’t think it should be done. Many disagree.