Hijack!

Llama

32 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

You clamp it in place and it is tall enough to keep the bit nice and straight. If you center punch the location & draw a line it’s easy to align the hash marks before clamping it in place. 

I've also had success using brad point bits. I push the tip into my mark, and guide the jig around the bit. As long as you keep the bit tip pressed into the wood, the jig will just help straighten it to 90 degrees, but keep it on its mark. Then you clamp the jig and drill away with the brad bit or any regular wood bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you tie down a Pin Oak ? I can understand worrying about a big tree near the house but the execution of tying  down a big tree intrigues me. If you go to the effort of prepping & starting the generator you are sure to not need it. The world is funny that way. Skipping over the effort dooms you to having to do it in the worst weather conditions possible. 

Hurricanes are usually just heavy rain by the time they get near us but we have had the occasional tornado. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:55 PM, wdwerker said:

How do you tie down a Pin Oak ? I can understand worrying about a big tree near the house but the execution of tying  down a big tree intrigues me. If you go to the effort of prepping & starting the generator you are sure to not need it. The world is funny that way. Skipping over the effort dooms you to having to do it in the worst weather conditions possible. 

Hurricanes are usually just heavy rain by the time they get near us but we have had the occasional tornado. 

The tractor weighs 17,000 lbs.  I have a 150' length of 5/8" Stablebraid rope, which is 16,580 lb. test, and doesn't stretch.  I figured it would have a better chance with the tractor straight upwind tied up high in it.   Turns out we didn't need to do all that anyway.  They were right with the storm track, so the most we'll get is a couple of inches of rain, and high gusts are supposed to be 29 mph- nothing we don't get more of in a good cold front passing.

I ended up skipping the things I said, in that post, that I was intending to do, and we went to work, and made money instead the next days.

• Like 1

I don't know if any of you use the national weather service but they have a really cool colored satellite image.

GOES16-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-625x375.gif

If someone was paying attention it'd have been neat to download the updated image ever hour and make your own gif of the whole storm moving through. I have yet to find an archive of all the images yet.

• Like 1