Hijack!

Llama

38 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

What is the best way to cut a 1/4” groove in the center  edge of a 3/4” board , 78” long? Using a hand held router with a saddle type jig or on the ts with a high fence and feather board? These will be to accommodate panels inside a frame, ie. door style build. 

Assuming your stock is square, I'd use the table saw.  

Router with dual edge guides would work well too..

• Like 1

Is the board super wide? If it is just a few inches, this seems like it could be done on table saw or router table easily. If it is a wide panel that would make it awkwardly to guide through the tool, then I'd think about handheld router. 

If It were me, I would make a couple test pieces of the exact same width. That way you can run them through the table saw forward then flipped around with the opposite face against the fence (to ensure your groove is centered). You'll need to make a couple passes with minute adjustments to get the width dead on, which is why the test piece will help you get the width dialed in to be exactly 1/4".

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Lee Valley is selling those Chinese Bridge Cities

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=77205&cat=51&ap=1

Pretty sure bridge city is selling the chinese bridge city now.... it's owned by a chinese company at least.

Also looks like most of that is less expensive directly through bridge city. I know the KM-1 kerf maker is $54 over there LV has it at $61.

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I just watched a short Woodsmith Tip video. I didn't know you can cut rabbets on a jointer.

yup.  i think its called a rabbeting ledge.  I tried it once when the jointer was new, just to try it out, and haven't done it since.

On 12/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, K Cooper said:

I just watched a short Woodsmith Tip video. I didn't know you can cut rabbets on a jointer. 

I end up using it that everytime I have to surface a board wider than 6". :lol:

BTW, that is not really my dog in my avatar, but it could be.   Here the real Maggie.....506649629_Maggiecloseup.thumb.JPG.e8234425a55c9e4583700eb0790894e4.JPG

• Like 2

A couple years ago I picked up subscriptions for a few woodworking magazines. I settled on keeping FWW, while I let the others expire, because it was inspiring, generally showing something for me to strive for, or things to just generally be wowed by. The others generally had fairly simple projects that felt I could probably do without a detailed write up, since the construction was mostly straightforward.

The most recent issue of FWW felt significantly less ambitious.  The Adirondack chair on the cover is a fine chair, but didn't really feel like it matches up to the high end standard of the other cover projects, to me, that I've seen to date. I'm not planning on dropping my subscription but was curious if others felt the same. I haven't been around long enough to feel like I've seen it all before, but I can imagine how that could happen for you guys that have been at it for decades, especially if you do this full time. 

• Thanks 1

When FWW first came out, I was really excited to get the first issue.  Being a customer of probably every mail order woodworking company then, I was invited to be a charter subscriber.  I remember the day the first issue came, and how excited I was.  I had never seen another woodworking magazine, and never looked at any of the others after they came out.

Sometime in the mid '90's, I became bored with what they were publishing.  I was probably already a customer of most of the advertisers, and getting their catalogs, so I never renewed my subscription after that.

I did keep them, and probably always will, but any I've picked up to look at in Lowes, to see if there was anything in it worth buying it for, got put back in the rack.  The only one I can remember buying was the issue several years ago that had the test of rust inhibitors in it.