Hijack!

Llama

There's a few options for paint. Mill Scale smokers (my smoker is based on their 94gallon pit) seem to be leaving these unfinished. https://millscale.co/smokers

We had a few small showers and there's now little specks of rust where I had hit it with the angle grinder. I'm not worried about it rusting out anytime soon though, the steel is nearly 7mm (just over 1/4") thick. It's all vanity.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@pkinneb Did you ever find a source for BB ply that was reasonably priced and not a special order?

I just called the place in st cloud and they carry 5x5 1/2" for $37 and 4x8 1/2" for $57.

I did not. I called Forrest but they never called me back. They don’t carry 3/4” or you were just looking for 1/2”? 

For those that smoke meats.. I been keeping an eye on this since it's kickstarter lauched back in .. 2015 I want to say. Finally today my preorder came. I'm pumped. Especially since my Maverick has basically died on me. My brisket Friday ended up overdone a bit because of it. 

IMG_20190708_165701.thumb.jpg.f485a4a8384157bdefd9677547049122.jpg

Well, kinda. I bought this thing years ago with that intent and at the time, our house was mostly white slurred brick and I was putting it off until we got new sidewalks  and driveway. In the mean time, I had the house painted gray and the urn thing doesn’t go to well with it. I think I will put it at the edge of my vegetable garden. 

43 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Almost certainly yes, but probably not by a lot. 

Will the extra weight make up for it? I don’t expect that a bull will run into it, just wondering about the stability. 

“ALMOST CERTAINLY” :D

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Or bury it 3" into the ground.

In the background to the right is the sunken box that it will sit on. I’ve since removed it to be moved elsewhere. In this box is the pump that will have a tube that will pump the water up though the top of the “urn”, for lack of a better description and it will flow over the top , back into the box, recirculating the water. I’m thinking the same, that the top is wider, thus heavier. We’ll see. 

44 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I think the center of gravity will move up because the top half has a little more volume than th bottom.  But why not just fill it with water and see how stable it is?

I tend to agree, but the containers cog might already be slightly high. The base would tend to lower it, but the rings at the top are larger, raising it slightly. 

I believe the water will ultimately make it harder to tip, because it will provide a greater resisting moment to overturning. 

9 hours ago, Isaac said:

I tend to agree, but the containers cog might already be slightly high. The base would tend to lower it, but the rings at the top are larger, raising it slightly. 

I believe the water will ultimately make it harder to tip, because it will provide a greater resisting moment to overturning. 

Look a the fancy guy with his fancy college words :D:P.

I agree with the above. Water will make it better.

You could make a base to set it into so it will be hard to tip. Imagine the disaster if it does fall over especially with the weight of water behind it. Then you will have to think of wintertime temps freezing the water. Outside it might be better to drill a drain hole in the bottom and treat it like a flower pot. 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is in the Virginia DC area and needs a planer, craigslist is rich with them. There are 3 Dewalt DW735x for under $325. I'm going to regret not picking one up right now, but it's not a good time. Every time I get a new alert for a planer I'm cringing right now. I haven't even finished setting up my bandsaw, if I buy another tool before I get that set up and clean up the shop to make it usable you won't be hearing from me again...

14 minutes ago, legenddc said:

If anyone is in the Virginia DC area and needs a planer, craigslist is rich with them. There are 3 Dewalt DW735x for under $325. I'm going to regret not picking one up right now, but it's not a good time. Every time I get a new alert for a planer I'm cringing right now. I haven't even finished setting up my bandsaw, if I buy another tool before I get that set up and clean up the shop to make it usable you won't be hearing from me again...

Get you shop cleaned and set up then give us a couple pictures to nit pick....:D.

45 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Get you shop cleaned and set up then give us a couple pictures to nit pick....:D.

That's the plan. I'm finishing up one small part of a desktop and then back to finishing my lathe cart. After that I'll be able to keep the lathe out of the shop and ditch the 8' long table in it. Bandsaw mobile base will be here Friday so I can move that when needed.

I'm in a 12'x13' room so tripping on everything. I'm honestly not sure if I'll be able to fit a planer, jointer and dust collector in there. I have access to all of that at my parent's house 30 minutes away but it's hard to get out there with 2 little kids and a truck they can't ride in.

• 2 weeks later...