Hijack!

Llama

On 10/3/2022 at 12:52 PM, BonPacific said:

Amusing that Amazon classifies those as dustpans. The most generic term would probably be hand broom.

I’m not seeing where they call it a dustpan. 

I’ve seen them at Lowe’s/HD and Ace hardware stores. Wouldn’t have thought to look at an auto parts store. 

On 10/3/2022 at 4:20 PM, JohnG said:

I’m not seeing where they call it a dustpan. 

I’ve seen them at Lowe’s/HD and Ace hardware stores. Wouldn’t have thought to look at an auto parts store. 

The category breadcrumbs at the top "Health & Household›Household Supplies›Cleaning Tools›Sweeping›Parts & Accessories›Dustpans"

On 10/3/2022 at 7:23 PM, BonPacific said:

The category breadcrumbs at the top "Health & Household›Household Supplies›Cleaning Tools›Sweeping›Parts & Accessories›Dustpans"

Oh got it. Probably because there is a dustpan option in the same listing. That may have been the first configuration that they loaded. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, Mark J said:

A funny thing happened.  I got a job. 

I am now the teacher's aid to the woodshop instructor at a nearby high school.  I've done two weeks so far and it's been... ah... different.  Yeah different, but fun.  There was nobody in this roll until I started two weeks ago, and honestly I don't know how the instructor managed, even for two of us you're fully engaged when the students are in the shop.  But I do feel like I'm adding something, so I kinda look forward to going (and I don't have to get there until 11 am, so no rush in the morning).  Although it is 15 miles each way and doesn't pay much.  I do have access to the shop after hours, though.  

I was actually surprised to have gotten the job as I made it clear that I had little expertise in flat work.  To tell you the truth I am making great use of stuff I've learned here, vicariously from you folks.  

Sounds fun. We had woodshop in Alabama in 80's. It was sold off and eliminated..

On 10/29/2022 at 2:49 PM, BillyJack said:

Sounds fun. We had woodshop in Alabama in 80's. It was sold off and eliminated..

I attended a bottom-level Air Force ammo course when I was 40 (long story for another time) and soon became aware that at least two of the fresh cadets had never used a screwdriver before; they had to be shown how (kid didn't know what "counterclockwise" meant either, but I can kind've understand that one).  

Really have my doubts about the US secondary school system anymore...

On 10/29/2022 at 6:52 PM, Botch said:

I have a hard time pinning this 100% on the schools. I had plenty of people in my class that would never mentally attend class and did enough work to get a D. You can lead a horse to water or so they say.

I've had friends that were in the same classes as me claim "We never learned that in school" i usually shook my head but a few times i had to tell a good friend of mine "Yes we did learn that you were just to busy paying attention to the guns and ammo mag or the girl sitting next to you"

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 7:52 PM, Botch said:

I attended a bottom-level Air Force ammo course when I was 40 (long story for another time) and soon became aware that at least two of the fresh cadets had never used a screwdriver before; they had to be shown how (kid didn't know what "counterclockwise" meant either, but I can kind've understand that one).  

High schools aren’t responsible for teaching people how to use a screwdriver. Most offer electives where kids will end up using them, but that’s a basic skill that’s taught at home or learned on their own or at a job. Can’t blame everything on schools.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

There are great teachers, good teachers and just okay teachers but the best chance at a good education with any teacher is when the student and the student's parents/guardians actively participate.

This is important. The thing that I wish wasn't true was the parenting part. I wish that our school systems could be setup so that no matter what your background is, you could achieve success. Not ever kid is lucky enough to be born with parents that have an active role in their education. Some have absent parents because they work 80 hours a week at some executive job, some have absent parents for other reasons....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

High schools aren’t responsible for teaching people how to use a screwdriver. Most offer electives where kids will end up using them, but that’s a basic skill that’s taught at home or learned on their own or at a job. Can’t blame everything on schools.

True, but 50 years ago, it was quite common for high schools to include "shop class" and / or "home economics" to instruct students in the practical ways of the world. They weren't always elective, either.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

True, but 50 years ago, it was quite common for high schools to include "shop class" and / or "home economics" to instruct students in the practical ways of the world. They weren't always elective, either.

Probably depends on the region? Those were both required courses for me for multiple years between 6th grade and 12th.