Hijack!

Llama

I have an Arlo system that came with my new house. The cameras themselves are fine, and they included solar panels so they're really easy to move around outside. But they use an older wifi frequency which is kind of a pain (my main router is 5Ghz only so I need a second older router just for the cameras) and Arlo's system has some weird limitations (no more than 5 cameras will work together unless you pay for active monitoring).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

What don't you like? I haven't had a chance to do any research but I've heard about Arlo and Eufy security cameras. I don't want Ring. I'd prefer something without a monthly subscription cost.

I have to keep this brief (it's a busy day today).  

I have Arlo, but I doubt the other products of this nature are any better.
Limited to no operating instructions
Two of the 5 cameras keep loosing their connection to the WiFi and reconnecting requires removing the camera from the mount (i.e. ladder) or removing the doorbell.
The doorbell goes out for months at a time then spontaneously connects again and works for weeks, then off line, then on line.  When the doorbell camera is off line the doorbell itself will not ring.
On one camera the motion detector no longer works properly.
Customer service hasn't been excellent.  The heavy Philippine accent does not help the cause.  
There is no possibility of having a technician provide service, and there's no store front to take the product to for help.  
I do not like that the system is cell phone based, nor that it is tied to one cell phone as master.  You can get the pictures on a computer, but you can only manage the system on one phone.  

There is a monthly fee ($10), otherwise you don't get recording.  At least with ADT, or similar, you do get access to technical help.

If you are installing surveillance cameras (especially with a motion detector), do the install in late spring or summer when the foliage is full, otherwise your cameras will have a great view of the trees.  Don't ask how I know.  

If you have the system set to notify you when a camera is triggered and you live anywhere there are cars or people walking dogs, or there is wind, you could have several hundred notifications a day.  So you'll be wanting to figure out how to turn these off.  

These are just my experience and opinions.  

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, Coop said:

Has anyone used a drop down hinge/support thing that you would recommend?  It will be used on .a small glass panel cabinet door

I have use the brusso hardware stop hinges.  Not sure if that is what you are looking for but they worked well on my little memento boxes other than they are a little pricey. 

Thanks. I’ve used the Brusso hinges before on small boxes. My application would be similar to the faux drawer below the kitchen sink top that hinges downward and holds small kitchen items (scrubs, etc). I will use them in this cabinet on the three small openings across the top. Instead of the openings, there will be framed glass paneled doors.

23387E5D-0356-43CA-B538-89CE8D420E99.thumb.jpeg.2283e4f0873b5be3f8d87c3daa32a7ec.jpeg

I’m probably the exception here @Coop, I have a Nest camera doorbell in the front and a Ring floodlight camera out back, both easy to install ( did it myself so that shows you how easy it was) both have excellent day/night clarity, the Ring has a siren as well that’s manually activated, both notify me when someone comes into the camera view and both save the video for 30 days I think, it does cost to keep the video on both , Ring is $3.00 a month and the Nest is $6.00 a month, both have other features that I like, shoot me a PM if you need more info

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t really see the value in them. Maybe I’m more fortunate than I realize to live in the area where I live. Though I also didn’t want them in SoCal or in Norfolk. Maybe I’m just naïve. The only cameras I have up are for wildlife and to see the water temp in my water stove. 

I would say that if you’re going to get cameras, get the best quality cameras you can afford. I used to frequent a photography forum and there were constantly guests posting “my security camera caught this car on my property but I can’t read the license plate, can you enhance this screenshot?” 

Lighting is important and camera placement is critical. Having the camera up high on the corner of the house sees a large area and avoids tampering, but has a low chance of getting a clear view of someone’s face, and therefore not much value in trying to catch potential criminals.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 2:42 PM, JohnG said:

Personally, I don’t really see the value in them. Maybe I’m more fortunate than I realize to live in the area where I live. Though I also didn’t want them in SoCal or in Norfolk. Maybe I’m just naïve. The only cameras I have up are for wildlife and to see the water temp in my water stove.

I definitely wouldn't have any if they weren't already part of my house. As it is I'll only turn them on if we're going to be away from the house for several days at a time.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, drzaius said:

Maybe TMI, but my daughter's marriage broke up and she's living with us. There are indications that her ex is doing some stalking. A dash cam is going in her car too.

Look up how to find Apple AirTags to make sure her car doesn’t have one on it. And no custom license plates. Maybe get new ones just in case. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Look up how to find Apple AirTags to make sure her car doesn’t have one on it. And no custom license plates. Maybe get new ones just in case. 

Yes, we've already looked into the AirTag thing. She's also alternate vehicles between her car and my wife's.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, drzaius said:

Maybe TMI, but my daughter's marriage broke up and she's living with us. There are indications that her ex is doing some stalking. A dash cam is going in her car too.

Ok I do see the value in cameras in this case! I swapped cars with a friend for a couple weeks while they were going through a similar situation. 

Several of you have offered pm’s and I appreciate that. The sales guy from Vivint just left. 5 outside cameras, 8 door alarm monitors, glass breakage and the usual stuff. They have a “soft” contract, cancelable anytime after 6 months without a breakup fee. Sticker price: $126.05 per month, $59.38 for monitoring and $66.67 for the equipment for 5 years. After 5 years, the equipment is paid for and monitoring is $25 per month. If I cancel before the 5 years is up, I pay for the balance of the equipment owed. Total price without interest for the equipment is $4,000.00. The cameras are 4K, hard wired and thermal activated, not motion. No charge for installation if I accept within 24 hours. Right now, we use Brinks with no cameras and pay $36 a month for monitoring. If this were fire extinguishers, I would know if were a good deal. Comments are requested please!

Last minute update. I just spoke to my wife’s nephew who is a whiz at electronics, not knowing if he had a camera or alarm system. He has been using Vivint for 4.5 years and has no qualms with their service or equipment. And even though he has had a “soft” contract with them for that long, my monthly cost is just $11 more than his. I think that will be the route I go. Down side is one more darn app on my phone! :D

• Like 2

I like John probably don't realize how lucky I've been through my life, but my thought has always been that if it gets to needing cameras and looking at footage it's probably already too late. Am I wrong with this? I've always put most value in good locks and making sure the easiest access is breaking a window.

In past experience we've witnessed vandalism on my parents property and had pictures and the person responsible was never held accountable for their actions. Thefts have been witnessed and the person never apprehended and items never recovered. This is a good discussion so please correct my probable wrong opinions.

Also I have been hearing too many stories about abusive relationships lately. I hope that those involved are able to get away cleanly and start fresh. Life is to short to deal with an emotionally abusive partner, luckily nothing has been physically abusive not that emotional abuse is any better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like John probably don't realize how lucky I've been through my life, but my thought has always been that if it gets to needing cameras and looking at footage it's probably already too late. Am I wrong with this? I've always put most value in good locks and making sure the easiest access is breaking a window.

Drew, I totally agree. Identifying the culprit after the fact usually doesn't turn out as we hope. My greatest desire for cameras stems from trying to determine when / IF the UPS guy actually kicked my packages off the back of the truck!

I shouldn't generalize ... we have one UPS driver that is a seriously nice guy, and always asks how Cody is doing, if Cody isn't the one to meet him at the door.

• Like 1

I only want a camera to see if something is going on outside at night or in case we notice someone suspicious with all the kids around here. If they want to steal my catalytic converter or even my whole car, I have insurance for that. If someone really wants to break into our house there's enough glass for them to easily do it. Since we mostly work from home now and a lot of our neighbors are retired/home all day there are probably much easier places to rob.

On an unrelated note, I saw this before and I think it's just too awesome not to share. Even if it's not your thing it appears to be very talented craftsmanship. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cddjyk4gBbQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I searched all over trying to find how to register. Home page has nothing. Sign in page has recovery but no ability to make new account. I hate to assume millennial developers.. but.. DARN them. Closest method I could see is, when I start to post a message, it tells me I can post now and sign in later.  Weird but let's go.. here's my post.

Abcdefg. And sometimes Y. Well, mostly all the time Y. Just TRY searching for a reference millennial.. just try . Hirambe!  

• Confused 1

I don’t disagree with the justifications of not having a security system. Several months ago, while sitting in my truck of the parking lot of a restaurant, waiting for a third party to arrive, my wife and I watched an A-hole break the glass of another truck and steal some items. I took a pick of his license plate and we identified him from pics two days later at the police station. The investigating detective called me a few days later, thanking me for our involvement. He said they picked the guy up the next day, Friday, and on Tuesday, he was back on the streets. He said that it almost made his job feel useless as it was just a revolving door. Speaks highly of our liberal judicial system. 

Several friends have told me that my current OO buck shot system is sufficient. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bud. I have never worked with maple and am wondering if I really got it? I did buy some figured soft maple from a reliable source, @Spanky, but it is a figured/tiger maple and don’t know if that is a good comparison. The face grain are the two with the red lines. I have worked with pecan and hickory both and this is not hear as dense as those two. The face grain is what concerns me as I didn’t expect it to look like this. The ends are painted blue. Is there a universal color for paint colors for different woods? 

C44735A0-DCA8-4EEB-930B-16F805CD3B90.thumb.jpeg.8c79f4cc4954ff574df774ad457f3964.jpeg

• Like 1