Hijack!

Llama

On 3/15/2022 at 6:43 AM, legenddc said:

Anyone else have a hard time sitting still if you're getting work done on your house? I always want to know what they're doing and it's hard to resist the urge to help.

I think you are supposed to turn in your Man Card if you don't feel the urge to want to watch or help.

• Haha 2

On 3/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, Chet said:

I think you are supposed to turn in your Man Card if you don't feel the urge to want to watch or help.

After watching them use a table saw, I have no desire to help. Blade raised all the way, no fence or crosscut sled in sight. Will try to get a picture if I can manage a good view. They do have it so when they turn the saw on a powerful fan blows the dust away.

35 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

So I stopped at Woodcraft last week because I was in Madison Wisconsin, I friend wanted me to pick up a quart of ARS, no problem I said, $34.00 a quart, yikes ! Last I bought was $17.00 they said they just had another price increase, strange times for sure

How long ago did you buy it? I don't think i've ever seen it for $17 a quart. Cheapest i've ever seen it was $27.

Strange times indeed. One of our largest vendors in Marinette, WI, within the last year, moved most of their manufacturing to Mexico and these parts are sent back to WI for assembly. So these parts, in some shape, form or fashion, pass over Houston twice. We received notice today that due to rising fuel cost, there will be an across the board price increase of 12% and  what use to be freight allowed on large shipments to us, will now be pre-pay and add. 

My can that recently went bad had a price tag of $19.99 on it. Couldn't have bought it all that long ago, maybe 5 years? The gallon of paint I bought last week was $10-12 more compared to April 2020 and the crown molding is up 30%+.

On a separate note, I'd like to go back in time and stop the lady who owned our house before us from getting all of these custom things. Had a sliding door lock break and the other one was on it's way out. Couldn't find it locally, ended up costing $170 for 2 handle sets and 2 locks.

Now I need a drain tube for our bathroom sink which every plumbing supply place I've called either tells me they've never heard of it being made in that size or just laughs and says good luck. Found some online and ordered it but I have to wait a week for it to get in.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

Strange times indeed. One of our largest vendors in Marinette, WI, within the last year, moved most of their manufacturing to Mexico and these parts are sent back to WI for assembly. So these parts, in some shape, form or fashion, pass over Houston twice. We received notice today that due to rising fuel cost, there will be an across the board price increase of 12% and  what use to be freight allowed on large shipments to us, will now be pre-pay and add. 

I wonder if moving manufacturing is still saving them money?  

On 3/22/2022 at 8:14 AM, legenddc said:

My can that recently went bad had a price tag of $19.99 on it. Couldn't have bought it all that long ago, maybe 5 years? The gallon of paint I bought last week was $10-12 more compared to April 2020 and the crown molding is up 30%+.

On a separate note, I'd like to go back in time and stop the lady who owned our house before us from getting all of these custom things. Had a sliding door lock break and the other one was on it's way out. Couldn't find it locally, ended up costing $170 for 2 handle sets and 2 locks.

Now I need a drain tube for our bathroom sink which every plumbing supply place I've called either tells me they've never heard of it being made in that size or just laughs and says good luck. Found some online and ordered it but I have to wait a week for it to get in.

I know the feeling. My current home has a lot of nice, but obscure items, like European faucets with odd thread sizes. Great stuff when installed 20 years ago... now it can be something of a real headache. 

On 3/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, Isaac said:

I know the feeling. My current home has a lot of nice, but obscure items, like European faucets with odd thread sizes. Great stuff when installed 20 years ago... now it can be something of a real headache. 

Isn't it? At this point I should just anticipate these things ahead of time and find a place online before I start working on things but usually it's a result of something breaking that causes a domino effect.

Spent my lunch hour finishing up the baseboard for our main level except for one piece that will be challenging. Hoping to start and finish the majority of our basement today after work since rain is in the forecast the rest of the week. I'd like to get the tools downstairs and out of our dining room. Will still have the quarter round and door jambs to deal with but that can wait some.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 7:39 AM, treeslayer said:

Happy Anniversary to our friend @Coopand is beautiful wife Sharon who are celebrating 50 years together today, correct me if I’m wrong on the years Ken but if I remember correctly you are a few months ahead of us, well done sir and many, many more to you and that great gal !

@CoopThat's awesome!! congrats to you both!