Hijack!

Llama

9 hours ago, Coop said:

@Tpt life, just curious, what does your name/call sign  tpt life ,stand for? 

I am a symphonic Trumpet player and middle school music teacher as my primary career at the moment. I gained mentorship here not because of this, but because of my OSHA interactions during a former career running the power tools we use. When I realized I was being Googled by students, I tried to remove my name from my posts in order to not bring unwelcome traffic here. I will be far more free with my information in less public interactions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Silicone is an insulator, so you could end up fouling the connection with that. If you're having trouble with the plugs, I'd recommend cleaning the contacts first. A pass with some steel wool to clear off any corrosion that's developed, and make sure the pins are straight and parallel. If it's the type of extension cord where you can disassemble the ends then also scrub the female contacts.

• Like 2

Isn't there such thing as a conductive grease? I could have sworn my dad has given me some at some point in my life. Applied sparingly to just the metal parts of the plugs I don't see why it would increase the risk of electrocution. Applying it to the inside of the female plug might be interesting but you might only need to apply to the male end and then plug it in?

It's not to be confused with dielectric grease which is an insulator.

• Like 1

I have some conductive grease that I use for some things.  The trouble with it is that it has carbon in it, and no matter how carefully you handle it, you're going to get black smudges on something.  I mainly use it on some 12v plugs that corrode easily without it, like the SAE plugs I have from the tractor battery that my diesel pump plugs into.

There are a couple of other places better suited for this but are occupied with new threads so I picked here.

A neighbor just sent me this video. Although the end build is really cool, I got more from his clamping methods, especially the clamp/caul that he uses. Do any of you have one of these? 

• Like 1

Phew!  What I really want for Christmas is a tool box air freshener.  I can't understand why it stinks so much, but it always has (I'm just tired of it).  Next time I'm at the car wash I may try one of those pine tree air fresheners.  I wonder if they make one that's walnut?

• Haha 2

I got a decent year end bonus from work. It'd be nice to buy some shop toys but man it seems like nothing is in stock.

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

aromatic cedar shavings in an old nylon stocking

+1

Even WRC would smell pretty good. When ever i turn on my CT vac i get blast of cedar freshness from the door i made nearly 3 months ago.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@legenddc, the museums are the only attraction that could ever entice me to visit DC again. I hope your little one soon develops enough attention span to enjoy them as much as you do!

Not even for the food? She actually does really well at museums but I messed up and didn't make her eat snacks in the car on the way there. She knew Ben's Chili Bowl was right after and she loves chili.

@Tom King - makes sense. I was more surprised they built it all on the ground, took it apart and assembled it again. This house had lots of moldings inside which is apparently how they showed off back in the day.  

• Like 1