Hijack!

Llama

If you're in a basement or similar space, you can run your cords along the joists and keep them out from under foot.  I use plastic coated screw hooks.  Very easy to take down the cord if moving the machine, and easy to reconfigure if you change your floor plan.

• Like 1

I'm still using some SO extension cords I put together in the mid '70's.  Just this morning, I drug out a 100' 12/3 one.

If you've ever noticed all the cords on the ground at a State, or local fair, those are all SO cords.  For some reason, they are not a trip hazard.  I've stepped over some many thousands of times, and I never think about it.

I use the same Hubbell twist lock ends for all 240v cords.  I have a short tail on all my stationary tools, to make it easier when we move them.  I set up a different "shop" every year for 33 years, so they were moved a lot.

I've had a few SJ tails on power tools.  I don't think they last over 10 to 15 years, but never kept up with it exactly.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Do any of you folks have a dash cam that you would recommend. I am seeing more and more justification for getting one. 

I am interested in the replies.  I will probably have to replace mine soon  I think it is dying  from heat stroke.  

Three incidents in the last couple of months. Two not involving me where if others had a dash cam, cases could have been solved sooner. The most recent was road rage where an innocent teen was shot and killed. Fortunately the detectives were able to get enough private security and highway footage to solve the case. For me, my wife and I witnessed an auto break in while sitting in a restaurant parking lot. Luckily I was able to get a pic of the perp as he was driving off, with a clear shot of his license plate. It would have been nice to have had a video of the 1.5 min. break in. 

• Like 1

I have come around on the topic and now am glad that my car has one (well, four - front, rear, and both sides) built in. Haven't truly needed it yet, but there have been a couple close calls where I have seen the potential benefit of having one to avoid any confusion of what took place.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:54 PM, Coop said:

The most recent was road rage where an innocent teen was shot and killed

Unfortunately there was a similar case near here not long ago. The victim was a child passenger and the only potential explanation was that the driver accidentally cut someone off. Especially tragic because if the bullet path had been only a fraction of an inch different, they would have had a decent chance to survive.

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

No, but the thought has crossed my mind from time to time.  Curious what you see as the justification.

In Washington state, the law requires a police officer to respond, investigate, and issue a citation to the "at fault" driver.  Because of the "defund police" movement and a recent state law eliminating the national standard of reasonable suspicion, and now requiring probable cause for police contacts, more and more jurisdictions are refusing to dispatch an officer to non-injury accidents.  This leaves it up to insurance companies to determine fault, based on a "he said, he said" basis.  Even in a no fault state I want  to have the evidence to prove my case in a civil court if needed.  I feel far more comfortable with a dash cam, to back up my statements.  

When I replace my current dash cam, I want front and rear views, accurate GPS to record speed, direction of travel and location.  Seamless blue tooth to send the recording to my phone or the "cloud".  

I haven't purchased one yet but will probably do it soon when we all start to make our ways back to the office. Would like a front/rear but I don't want my kids constantly surveilled so only front. A while back I contacted my insurance company to see if they give discounts for having one and I was told no. Frankly that seems like an oversight on their part.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, Just Bob said:

My current cam attaches to the rear window, no interior camera views.  I absolutely agree with not having an interior camera.

Bob, as yours attaches to the rear window, you are videoing only what goes on behind you? 

3 hours ago, Coop said:

Bob, as yours attaches to the rear window, you are videoing only what goes on behind you? 

Yes.  It was a good system when I bought it 5yrs ago, but age and heat have taken its toll. I still haven't found one that I really like.  There are some that take front and rear vids from the unit that is attached to the front windshield or rear view mirror.  Those are the units that I will not use.

i was wishing for rain today. Spent 6 straight hours working with a system integrator to set up an equipment demonstration for tomorrow. In 105f heat index. First time I've come home from work with crusty salt stains on my clothes in a while. Working in heat is something that has DEFINITELY not grown better with age...

We had dangerous looking clouds and lightning in the sky to the west of us and were hoping for some of the rain it obviously was dropping. Later I drove to our local Kroger’s and literally 6 blocks to the west was standing water. I came home and turned on the sprinkler system. ;)

• Like 1