Hijack!

Llama

That's awesome. I saw some chestnut lumber on Craig's list a while back and delayed too long on trying to buy some it soon disappeared. There are stands of trees around here still. I believe the lumber i was looking at was the result of storm damage and someone smart grabbing the downed trees.

I'm excited for the day that i have full size Chestnut trees in my back yard. Of the 4 seedlings I planted 1 died, but 2 are around 60" tall now, the other alive is kinda runty and only 24" tall still.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:50 AM, wtnhighlander said:

@Coop, those should make for some nice conversation pieces, even if they turn out to not be chestnut. Cool story behind them. You have a live-edge project in mind?

No live edge project planned. I’m anxious to get some good end grain pics to submit for @phinds to verify that it is Chestnut. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Good idea. As I understand it, the face grain of chestnut and white oak look very similar.  I've never worked with any chestnut, though.

Chestnut is ring prous and has a pore structure that looks like oak. It's similarities end there though. The density is 1/3-1/2 of oak and the color is very different.

American Chestnut and American Elm are pretty close. Both a ring porus with interlocked grain. They are also similar in color. However Elm is 2X as hard and dense.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 5:16 AM, Chestnut said:

My rain dance worked we got 3.5" of rain yesterday.

Do you do contract work? We got 3" total here in San Diego this year. Going to be bad for drought. I heard that they are thinking about limiting the power output from Hoover dam because the water levels are so low.

1 hour ago, Robby W said:

Do you do contract work? We got 3" total here in San Diego this year. Going to be bad for drought. I heard that they are thinking about limiting the power output from Hoover dam because the water levels are so low.

I only know my local dialect unfortunately. For me it's usually a combination of threatening music, 2 hours of watering shrubs, and scheduling an outdoor event.

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:13 AM, Chet said:

Wish this worked in California.

Maybe if all us left-coasters washed our car on the same day?  I live where the average annual rainfall is under 12" and all of that shows up in 30 to 35 days out of the year.  To say folks around here have low water yards and take water conservation to heart is an understatement ;-)

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:46 PM, Chestnut said:

@coop my crop is getting going. I have 10 plants like this.

0716212043-01.jpeg

Wow, I envy you this time of the year. I had to give up on mine 3 weeks ago due to the rain and the birds. I will replant on Labor Day weekend. Drew, what brands do you plant? 

Yep, variety was the word I should have used. I basically do the same as you describe about one stalk. I am not limited in space but I plant my tomatoes twice a year in the exact same spot. To prevent diseases, to curb weeds and to hold in moisture, I cover my rows with black plastic and cut holes in it to plant the plants. As these holes  limit the amount of rain the plant receives, I have a dripper at each plant. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:59 AM, legenddc said:

Anyone else seeing all kinds of used furniture up for sale listed as modern or MCM? Doesn't seem to matter what it is or if the style is remotely close to modern. I didn't realize farmhouse tables were from the mcm period...

Brought to you by the same folks that sell a rusted hulk that is missing major components as a "vintage" hand plane.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:14 PM, treeslayer said:

R.I.P. Dusty Hill of ZZ Top, legendary band, Texas flags should be at half staff for this great musician, he will be missed my many, many fans, Ride easy Dusty :(

Another beard bites the dust.  But he'll be playing with Elvis in no time at all.