Hijack!

Llama

27 minutes ago, Coop said:

Thanks Dave! You have a great memory! We are going to dinner tonight and go over an outline that she developed on how we can make it another 49 years. Probably just a ploy to get me to take her out! :D

Congrats that's awesome Coop!! BTW 49 years you ought to be taking her out LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been following the stock on Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley (Veritas) hand planes and covid is really taking a toll on these companies. A combination of the increased demand and decreased supply (Lie Nielsen citing casting issues) makes getting hand tools incredibly difficult.

It's too bad this would be a great opportunity to deliver a lot of planes due to the higher demand.

• Like 1

That's a shame. I'm sure between that and Rockler/Woodcraft having their own lines things are tough.

I'd like to start acquiring some hand tools but with no real bench or sharpening equipment it will become expensive real quick. Too many home reno projects at the moment so no rush. Maybe I can get something at their cyber monday sale.

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've been following the stock on Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley (Veritas) hand planes and covid is really taking a toll on these companies. A combination of the increased demand and decreased supply (Lie Nielsen citing casting issues) makes getting hand tools incredibly difficult.

It's too bad this would be a great opportunity to deliver a lot of planes due to the higher demand.

What is their Ticker Symbol? 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

What is their Ticker Symbol? 

Not stick like investment stock like product on shelves. Everything is out of stock and on backorder. They seem like they trying to make them as fast as possible and are selling them as soon as they are made.

• 2 weeks later...

I know lumber prices are through the roof but I was shocked at the quality of the studs when I was just at Home Depot and Lowes. The majority were shaped like a bommerang and the amount of bark on them was crazy. I saw one where it was only straight cut on 3 sides, the fourth was the outside of a tree minus the bark. Glad I'm not building a house or an addition right now. Best of luck to those of you who are!

• Like 1

I’ve been keeping an eye on the construction lumber around me since we have several projects on the “sometime soon-ish” list and it’s been hit or miss. Sometimes it’s been like that, but today when I was in Lowe’s it was all pretty decent looking. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, treeslayer said:

I had the pleasure of a visit today from @Ronn W on his way back from woodworking school, great time, much wood talk, and a great lunch provided by my wife. Thanks for stopping by Ronn, always good to see you and talk wood stuff. 492CAC09-2158-4F2E-8746-3C949605F204.jpeg.3e2db7211c2151499b1285885977ced8.jpeg

Haven't I seen you two bums somewhere?  Oh yeah, I remember you were bumming lunch money in Iowa a few years back.   Looks like you got more than enough lunch dough!   :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend decent weather resistant storage cabinets? Similar (size/shape, not necessarily color or styling) to the pic below?

Most options I can find are hideous or have very bad reviews. I don’t want diamond plate or loud colors. Plastic, composite, and metal are fine, as long as they won’t rust or break down outside with some exposure to rain and weather.

They will be along the outside edge of one of the bays in our carport so they will receive some indirect weather. Just want to be able to store some kids toys/helmets/etc, a few gardening tools, and a few car/tractor related things in them for quick access without having to leave them in the open.

I have very little desire to make them out of wood, I’d rather just buy something.

1D6E1679-F156-4721-BC3F-03C383C5E0CA.thumb.jpeg.8aabf16c135e3b971130b8f889056d90.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I see lumber prices have started to come down. 3 weeks ago a 2x4 stud was 12.99 now it's 8.99.

Random length Lumber futures have been on the decline since the middle of may.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/LBS=F?p=LBS=F&.tsrc=fin-srch

Shannon's latest lumber industry update agrees.

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

What's next, a decline in real estate prices? :o

Vehicle prices, hopefully. A coworker had his Silverado totaled by a sleeping driver last week, and can't find a replacement of equal age and mileage, even at a reduced trim package, for less than $8000 more than he paid for it a year ago. My own truck currently has a Carfax estimated trade-IN value about $1500 above what I paid 16 months ago to buy from a brand dealer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/11/2021 at 7:24 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Vehicle prices, hopefully. A coworker had his Silverado totaled by a sleeping driver last week, and can't find a replacement of equal age and mileage, even at a reduced trim package, for less than $8000 more than he paid for it a year ago. My own truck currently has a Carfax estimated trade-IN value about $1500 above what I paid 16 months ago to buy from a brand dealer.

The used price on my pickup is equal to its new price 3 years and 40k miles ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Anyone have any idea when used car prices might relax?

Once new vehicles are back in stock. Which means the chip shortage has to be over. And the rental car shortage. And after everyone returns to the office or not. It's been a while since I've been in that industry but I'd guess early 2022 unless COVID hits another big source of the car supply chain.

If you have an extra vehicle now is a good time to sell it. We've played with the idea of going down to one car but with 2 kids who will be in 2 different schools I don't think we can pull it off until prices normalize.