Hijack!

Llama

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

I just saw an ad for Jeep for an electric version.

I saw that as well. Electric plugin with an onboard generator/gas drive engine so you don't need to charge if your out in the wilderness.

21 mile range on the battery though... I can't even make it to work and back on that.

I want to go electric but all the electric pickup offerings leave a LOT to be desired. Either they are massive, absurdly ugly in styling, or have crap for range (most tick all 3 boxes). Given the rise of the popularity of the midsize truck I'm surprised there aren't really any offerings in the midsize category.

At least if you hate it you'll be able to get out of it without losing much. Wranglers and I believe Gladiators (so far) have great resale value. Usually in the top 3 with the 4Runner and Tacoma.

Hard to believe you only lost $3k over 4 years and 45k miles but we are living in crazy times.

I swear it's only gone up in value since i bought it. I probably would have gotten a LOT less brand new with 100 miles on it.

I test drove the Gladiator before i committed and i was surprised at how normal it was. I was expecting it to ride and sound like a mid 70s pickup. It honestly rides smoother and isn't any louder than my Canyon.

I was also told this is going to be my last new vehicle for a long time. Which probably means i need to get a good 10-15 years out of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I swear it's only gone up in value since i bought it. I probably would have gotten a LOT less brand new with 100 miles on it.

I test drove the Gladiator before i committed and i was surprised at how normal it was. I was expecting it to ride and sound like a mid 70s pickup. It honestly rides smoother and isn't any louder than my Canyon.

I was also told this is going to be my last new vehicle for a long time. Which probably means i need to get a good 10-15 years out of it.

Congrat's... but 4wd and leather Drew it appears you have com over to the dark side :P

I loved my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with the exception of two things first not having a box got old real quick. Second for me was the crappy mileage 14/16 around town and the best I ever got was 18.6 I just averaged 25.6 doing 76 mph all the way from IN in my Canyon. Having said that the mileage numbers appear to be way up in the tests I've read and seen so that's good. 

On another note will it fit in your garage? It has to be quite a bit longer than your canyon isn't it? What color?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Congrat's... but 4wd and leather Drew it appears you have com over to the dark side :P

I loved my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited with the exception of two things first not having a box got old real quick. Second for me was the crappy mileage 14/16 around town and the best I ever got was 18.6 I just averaged 25.6 doing 76 mph all the way from IN in my Canyon. Having said that the mileage numbers appear to be way up in the tests I've read and seen so that's good. 

On another note will it fit in your garage? It has to be quite a bit longer than your canyon isn't it? What color?

I'm probably going to be stubborn and not use 4wd ... I've made it nearly 20 years without it just fine why should I start using it now!? :D

So the mileage seems to be a lot better in the new versions but still not great. Not sure if you are calculating your mileage or using the computer. My computer in the Canyon is off high by 1.5 MPG almost exactly every time... best i ever got on a full tank was 23-24 mpg  Average mileage on a tank was 21-22 so even if that drops to their listed 20 it's not a huge loss. My dad tipped me off on this his GM is exactly the same about 1-1.5 mpg high on the computer. It wouldn't be weird if it wasn't consistent but no matter the driving conditions it's consistently high.

My Subaru is a lot closer, usually and falls within 0.6 of either side of accurate so i figured it averages out. Sorry kind of a fuel mileage freak. I hand calc each tank, I don't track it but kind of keep mental notes. Fuel mileage has helped me catch some early issues on cars. If it starts dropping something is usually wrong.

It will fit in my garage, the width is not much different from the Canyon/Colorado and the length is only barley longer. I have a couple feet to spare length wise in my garage. Though it's going the wrong direction, I wish they were smaller. I looked hard and long at the wrangler's. I did a tally over the last year how many times i used my box and it was only 5-6 times. I've gotten into the habit of just using my trailer to grab stuff as loading and unloading is way easier. I dislike how tall the box rails are.

• Like 1

That's why I sold my old truck and will replace one of our cars with a SUV that can tow a trailer. I figure the 5-6 times a year I need a trailer I can rent it from Uhaul 1.5 miles from my house for $20. Cheaper then paying for insurance on my truck.

If I had room to store a trailer I would buy one.

35 minutes ago, legenddc said:

If I had room to store a trailer I would buy one.

I'm assuming you looked into the harbor freight folding trailer? Is it possible to put a sheet or 2 of plywood on a roof rack?

Also depending on the SUV you could manage a lot of what you need with out the trailer. EG the Ford Explorer and Mazda CX9 could easily haul 4'x4' ply and could manage 8 foot lumber pretty well. I can fit 8' lumber into my WRX and that thing is tiny.

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm assuming you looked into the harbor freight folding trailer? Is it possible to put a sheet or 2 of plywood on a roof rack?

Also depending on the SUV you could manage a lot of what you need with out the trailer. EG the Ford Explorer and Mazda CX9 could easily haul 4'x4' ply and could manage 8 foot lumber pretty well. I can fit 8' lumber into my WRX and that thing is tiny.

Yes but I don't have a garage and our townhouse backyard is entirely a deck now.

We have a Mazda CX-5 that I can load up with 8' lumber and I bought a cordless jigsaw so I can cut it down if it's just a little too long. No roof rack but uHaul and Home Depot are only 2 miles away if I'm making some shop furniture.

Ideally whatever we get needs a 40/20/40 split rear row so I don't have to take out the kids car seats. Be nice to get them more involved and bring them to the lumber dealer.

• Like 1

I'm the opposite that  3 or 4 times a year of having to hook up the trailer and another half dozen times I wish I had a box was enough to push me back into truck. I also am a bit of a mileage nerd and have tracked both winter summer FWIW my truck is rarely out of 2wd during the year and I on avg of 59K miles have seen 21 winter 24 summer. I'm shocked the jeep is only slightly longer I would have thought it would be a good foot longer LOL. They are definitely a sharp vehicle I have seen a lot on the road that look really sweet. So did you get a soft top or hard top?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I'm the opposite that  3 or 4 times a year of having to hook up the trailer and another half dozen times I wish I had a box was enough to push me back into truck. I also am a bit of a mileage nerd and have tracked both winter summer FWIW my truck is rarely out of 2wd during the year and I on avg of 59K miles have seen 21 winter 24 summer. I'm shocked the jeep is only slightly longer I would have thought it would be a good foot longer LOL. They are definitely a sharp vehicle I have seen a lot on the road that look really sweet. So did you get a soft top or hard top?

213" vs 218" The gladiator only has a 5' box so that's going to stink as I'm quite used to a 6' box. It does have a cool tailgate feature that allows you to hold the tailgate half open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chet said:

We have always had a family car but my main vehicle since 1975 has been a truck.  If I didn't have a truck to drive I would probably have to be institutionalized for my own safety.

Sometimes you just have to get creative. I brought home a queen size bed on the top of a 2 door Jeep.

• Haha 1

I've had my first pick up for 3 years.  It's been useful, but not as much or as often I thought it would.  

The thing it does not excel at carrying is my wife's dog while simultaneously carrying people stuff.  If the dog is riding along, as she often does, she pretty much takes up the back seat/row.  So there's no handy covered place for jackets or bags.  With an SUV you get the covered cargo area, and most of what I've hauled in my mid size pick up so far would have fit in a mid size SUV.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:11 PM, treeslayer said:

Has anyone have trouble ordering Klingspor sandpaper ? I can’t get on their website and my calls to customer service are not returned, of course I’m almost out and in the middle of a big project but that’s my fault, thanks for the replies 

Now ya gotta tell us what the project is! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

Looks great Dave! I like the way the grain doesn’t run down the center of the handle but is offset.

Yeah i do too, the blanks are 18” X 15” to start so I just shift the handle off to one side, double stick tape the pattern on, band saw then router, oil then done, thanks Coop

• Like 1