Hijack!

Llama

On 8/31/2021 at 8:04 AM, Immortan D said:

Air lines are like moisture magnets. I wouldn't want that in the same conduit with my power lines.

Also electrical conduit probably doesn't have much of a burst strength for use with a compressor.

@JohnG keep in mind there is a fill rating for how many conductors are allowed in the conduit, and at what current draw. Adding the air line will reduce the effectice cross section of the conduit, reducing the ability for air flow and heat dissipation. That code is present to prevent the wires from causing a fire from overheating.

Just mentioning that, so you'll know what to expect from the insurance company if your shop burns down.

:o

• Sad 1

Stacked tires on a rack in my garage. The connections make me uncomfortable and I'm goign to brace them. Adding the weight up it seems like a lot for 2 1/4" structural screws per connection. I've dug through some wood building guides and it seems like the fasteners are capable of holding 200 lbs per connection which would give the shelf a capacity of 1,200 lbs and i estimate the tires weigh 400 lbs. Still makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

0829211932-01.thumb.jpeg.b46f1ca0ad2722d05f65bcc36c0ea543.jpeg

0901211828_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.ab8dc409ac3c2c8123509882ea44186f.jpeg

The connections that the tires are sitting on are bridle joints that were glued and pinned with screws.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I would double up those 2x4's flat against the ceiling, and put some more fasteners into those for the legs.  With that, I don't think it would be worry, short of an Earthquake.

That's what i was thinking too. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Dang Chestnut. Anything in your garage not on the ceiling at this point?

12' walls. I have to do something with the space. The garage doesn't seem like it was designed for 3 cars nor a pickup length vehicle. So i don't have any floor space for shelves. But there is a ton of volume over head.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:30 PM, Chestnut said:

12' walls. I have to do something with the space. The garage doesn't seem like it was designed for 3 cars nor a pickup length vehicle. So i don't have any floor space for shelves. But there is a ton of volume over head.

That makes sense now. Shame you have to go through all that work and it's not a few feet deeper.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, Mick S said:

Nice to be missed!

I'm still around. I just found myself getting a little burned out on WW. New semester preps, my own shop projects, friends' shop projects, etc. All woodworking, all the time.

Understandable. Hope all is well otherwise.