Hijack!

Llama

It was a clogged drain line right at the sink. I replaced it but I can't get it to run. From my research, I believe the float switch is broken. Headed out to a place right now to go get it and fingers crossed it works AND the new line doesn't leak. I don't know if I can handle removing the dishwasher again to patch that up.

• Like 1

I'm 6'1" trying to work in a galley kitchen under the sink, which is of course directly across from the fridge. Between the garbage disposal and water filter system in the cabinet there's no room.

Got everything working again. Had to reuse the old drain hose since the new one was the wrong diameter and leaked. Guess I not only have to go buy the $45 hose and eat the cost of the $14 one but also take the dang thing back out and reinstall it with the new hose in a week or two. Until then we'll only run the dishwasher while I'm working a few feet away.

• Sad 1

Hey you could be working under the dash of a car.... lip stands on floor mats still sounds like less fun.

Did you see what caused the clog or malfunction? I wonder if there is any preventive maintenance a guy could do. If my dishwasher leaked it'd be right over top of my jointer and table saw.

On 2/25/2022 at 8:34 AM, Chestnut said:

Hey you could be working under the dash of a car.... lip stands on floor mats still sounds like less fun.

Did you see what caused the clog or malfunction? I wonder if there is any preventive maintenance a guy could do. If my dishwasher leaked it'd be right over top of my jointer and table saw.

Oh yeah, that lip from the door sill is always fun. I actually enjoy working on cars but hate that it only happens when something breaks and you're usually rushing to get it fixed. I think that's why I enjoy woodworking more.

We replaced the dishwasher in Nov. 2016 and I'm sure I reused the drain hose without even thinking twice about it since the one that came with the new one was too short. The previous dishwasher was a 1994 model. I'm guessing 28 years of crud just clogged it up where it went into the disposal. We run it a lot with 2 kids. I'd guess the 2 years of washing bottles through it with formula had to clog it up some too.

We'll be cleaning the dishwasher filter on a regular basis from now on. Dishwashers have a float switch that basically acts like your toilet float. If too much water is pooling up it should turn off the water. Ours clearly wasn't working as it should have been,

• Like 1

Thinking some more on your question. You could pop off the drain hose where it connects to the sink and see how it looks inside. My dishwasher (GE) has a way to turn on each element to test it. If you really wanted to be thorough you could pop off the cover underneath and look while testing it.

Or throw a water sensor alarm under your sink/dishwasher if it's right above your shop. You obviously have to be home and hear it to react unless you spring for the fancy ones that can shut off the water.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly coming of age, I discovered emojis. However, I find that on my iPad, I can only use the ones offered above, on this site and not the many offered on my IPad. Is this due to the censorship of this site, my iPad or ignorance on my part? 

They’re just afraid that you’ll fill the forum with poop emojis if that one was available.

While there is a general meaning defined for each emoji code, there is not a universal standard for the exact appearance of it. They are like a font. Apple’s emojis look different than Samsung’s, which look different than WhatsApp’s, which look different than Google’s, which look different than Microsoft’s, and so on.

Each company has to buy, license, or create their emoji images. The forum software company probably didn’t want to create or buy the full spread of emojis. Or maybe that’s a paid “upgrade.”

• Like 2

Even fonts can have license fees. My company has wasted money on a special font for the last few years.

@treeslayer That's an impressive wall your friend is putting up. What's that crazy circle pattern thing at the top? Also, is that a hornet's nest chandelier?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone else have a hard time sitting still if you're getting work done on your house? I always want to know what they're doing and it's hard to resist the urge to help. They pulled out some old Makita tools which is shocking considering most contractors around here are Harbor Freight or Ryobi.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Anyone else have a hard time sitting still if you're getting work done on your house?

Yep, normally it's because I'm the one doing the work. It's hard for me to pay someone money to do work I'm capable of doing. :D

I make a point to busy myself with something and completely stay away. I know most people don't want the disruption.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:05 AM, Chestnut said:

Yep, normally it's because I'm the one doing the work. It's hard for me to pay someone money to do work I'm capable of doing. :D

I make a point to busy myself with something and completely stay away. I know most people don't want the disruption.

Usually it's me doing it too. Have to prioritize your time more once that kid comes though.

I did the demo saving us a decent bit of money and will do the trim plus buying a paint sprayer to save time. Hopefully I can get one of the kids to help a little with the installation even though it will take a lot longer.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Even fonts can have license fees. My company has wasted money on a special font for the last few years.

@treeslayer That's an impressive wall your friend is putting up. What's that crazy circle pattern thing at the top? Also, is that a hornet's nest chandelier?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone else have a hard time sitting still if you're getting work done on your house? I always want to know what they're doing and it's hard to resist the urge to help. They pulled out some old Makita tools which is shocking considering most contractors around here are Harbor Freight or Ryobi.

Circle thing is to keep anyone from falling out of a loft that’s up there and yes, hornets nest, I have one in my man cave as well

• Like 1