Hijack!

Llama

I have done the same, using an insert specific for 45* bevel cuts, returning the blade back to 90* without changing the insert back to the zci. Then cutting an off cut that dropped down into the blade and getting a non injurious kick back. It only took once as I wasn’t wearing safety glasses and the piece clipped my ear. Glad you are ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Glad you came out of it ok. As for leaving room for airflow, if you think about it, the board being cut completely covers the slot so it doesn't make much difference. I have seen people drill a hole at the entrance side of the blade, just before the slot, to let air in. I doubt it makes much difference.

Home Depot seems to have the kids workshop kits back, but you don't do them in the store. Just pick them up and let your kids do them at home. They're supposed to come out the first Saturday of the month.

Got a couple of leftover ones the other week and the kids made them and had a blast.

• Like 1

A Houston police officer was shot and killed today and his partner is is in serious condition. They were serving a warrant on an a-hole that had jumped bond on three priors. This officer with 31 years of service was due to retire in three weeks. To my knowledge, the officer never tried to pass a fake $20 bill nor resisted arrest nor had a lengthy rap sheet. Chances are that in 2-3 weeks, he will be forgotten. No streets named after him nor continued nation wide news. RIP Sir! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's the annual ash tree inundation.  

Resized_Resized_20211001_181226.thumb.jpeg.d4e9e0f5576ed0b13cbeaf23b6590a6f.jpeg

This is only about half of what's on the ground and only a small fraction of what's still in the tree.  It does seem like bumper crop this year, but this is only the beginning.  This doesn't end until November.  

• Like 1

I have a huge bald cypress about 15’ from one of our driveways that drop little pine cone looking objects that split into about 8-10 little seedlings. Each has a pine tar substance that stick to anything and everything, feet and autos. The tree is beautiful but a pita. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Don't worry EAB will kill it in the next 5-10 years?

Nope.  I started having it treated back in like 2008.  EAB has already peaked here and the tree is still healthy.   This is the tree with the treehouse in my avitar, so it got a little money spent on it.  Now that the treehouse is gone I'm not really sure how to stop.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Nope.  I started having it treated back in like 2008.  EAB has already peaked here and the tree is still healthy.   This is the tree with the treehouse in my avitar, so it got a little money spent on it.  Now that the treehouse is gone I'm not really sure how to stop.  

Oh that's awesome to hear that your both treating it and it's working. I'm starting to see ash trees dieing in our neighborhood. I wonder what the future of the bug will be.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, Coop said:

@phinds, Paul, are these photos enough to identify the wood. Supposedly they are Chestnut from a 1700’s log cabin and came from Augusta TN.

This piece is 3.5” thick and 12” wide if that makes any difference?

3F2F3CCA-2C32-49DA-B982-669F02AAA849.thumb.jpeg.db8d55362cdfeac86986c947d910ea99.jpeg8784199F-B749-43E9-AD74-3780C7ED9556.thumb.jpeg.64f104ac8294982534e7ec11b2c6b165.jpeg8CABAC76-5DF8-44BA-BF16-8AEE5D18A46D.thumb.jpeg.56ee669207ca9bc0919c68f68e7f86ec.jpeg

Well, I took these mullets to the mill today. One slab was sliced into 3 ea. 1” thick boards and the other into 1 ea. 1” and 1” 2 1/4” thick boards. There are more bad checks in each than even my ex wife could ever have written! So now, after paying the guy $50 to mill them for me, I have $200 of 90 bf of fire wood.:(

After showing the pic to @chet, he suggested making 500 small boxes and as old as the wood is, I could immediately sell them as antiques. Misery loves company! :D

I checked the mc when I got home and though it was 11%, the dust when milling looked like the powered snow that I once encountered while pheasant hunting in SD.  Live and learn.

B2E08835-F000-461E-9107-2E0A27356439.thumb.jpeg.7ef11007defe4eabfd2b0230c338131c.jpeg

• Sad 1

I'd get some use out of it for random shop uses, jigs etc where stability isn't required. One could also make use of it in some circumstances for secondary bracing material again where stability isn't much of a concern.

You could also use it for testing set ups or doing prototypes for ideas.

It's not all wasted.

• Like 1