Hijack!

Llama

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Yes. Walnut is my favorite shop smell. I suppose we should question my sanity as i like the smell of oak too.

Yes, your sanity is definitely in question. Oak, red anyway, smells very much like a neglected litterbox. :lol:

Of course, my wife claims my olfactory sense is waaaayyy out of whack.

• Haha 2

On 12/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, BonPacific said:

No, but I also like the smell of a horse barn.

Me too. (or at least, a well kept one)  My smeller is so sensitive that I can tell what color a horse is in pitch black dark.  My Wife can only pick out the gray ones.

On 12/25/2021 at 6:43 PM, Mark J said:

Hurray for The James Webb!

So far, so good, but the hard stuff is still ahead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

So far, so good, but the hard stuff is still ahead.

What?  Just get the spacecraft into position one million miles away then get 300 different moving parts to unfold the spacecraft exactly right.  What's to worry?  After all, this is NASA. :)

On 12/25/2021 at 7:32 PM, Mark J said:

Just get the spacecraft into position one million miles away then get 300 different moving parts to unfold the spacecraft exactly right. 

If I understand correctly, they are going to start unpacking it on its way out so that it is mostly ready to start testing upon arrival.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 weeks and 2.5 weeks off of school my kids are finally back in school. Last week the oldest had snow days all week. Thankfully we kept the youngest home the one day he could have gone in because a teacher in his room has Covid and his classroom is now shut down for a week. Since he wasn't there he'll be hanging out with the younger kids this week.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

We have a furniture company owner in Houston that is not only a complete business success but a local philanthropist. His name is Jim McIngvale, known in these parts as Mattress Mack. He is constantly running promotions based on sporting events. Currently, he has offered that anyone that purchased $3000.00 or more of furniture and if the Bengals win the game today, he will refund their money. To cover his butt, he has made several bets on the Bengals to a total of 4.5 million. As he has recently exceeded his loss if the Bengals win, he placed an additional record $5 million on the Bengals. Total of 9.5 million dollars. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 7:28 PM, Coop said:

@phinds, can you identify this as Alaskan Yellow Cedar? A friends son gave me a small piece and said that was what it is called. I have never heard of it. He said he trimmed out a whole new house in Austin with it. 

B68E45F0-AADD-45F9-BD1F-F7DCF419AA37.jpeg

Coop, it's a pretty common wood and it's actually a cypress but most folks refer to it as a cedar and that's how I have it on my site.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cedar, alaskan yellow.htm

but as for IDing a specific piece, no.

A lot of softwoods all look pretty much the same in the end grain (pine does tend to have larger resin canals). All I can say is that your wood definitely could be Alaskan yellow cedar.

• Like 1

Dishwasher didn't drain yesterday and was spilling out all over the floor. Thankfully I ran it when I did and work 10 feet away from it or else my tool storage room right underneath of it would have been a disaster.

Had to quickly switch the shop vac to wet vac mode by switching filters and pulling off the bag. It very quickly coated my whole office in dust but I did get the water up.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3