Hijack!

Llama

23 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Take a look at a few knots first  then cut a few fake grain lines around the hole and blow-out. When you fill it with the black epoxy what you don't want to see is a perfectly round hole. When the eye sees the proper visual clues the brain concludes "knot ".

To really sell it I have used multiple colors of filler. Fill with one color, dry, sand flat then cut more fake grain lines that would continue the grain around the hole and fill those with a lighter(or darker) color.

Thanks. I wish I had read this before I started the repair. I went with a plug and black epoxy. But I can already tell it needs more epoxy so I can try the grain lines then. 

My biggest concern is once I sand the area down I won't be able to make the finish match the surrounding finish. For instance, on my small counter there is one spot I sanded more heavily than the rest and if you stand in the right angle/light you can see a difference. 

58 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Spot finish to build it up then sand to flatten and then coat the entire top.

My wife hates that idea because of how the smell of waterlox is and the counter is installed. She asked why I can't just refinish the section between the joints where I have black lines of epoxy. Whats your thought on that? A lot of the pieces have a drastically different looks, because of wood color (air dried) but I don't know that her idea will work out. Picture for reference - so in her scenario I would be sanding down that 12 inch section and have the rest taped off. 

20160717_160527.jpg

3 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

It's still going to leave an ugly transition line. Do you want to make it look good or just get done & cut corners ?

Well, you know my answer there. 

I'll plastic off the kitchen and point a fan out the window. 

The world needs to stop crapping on my finances. Couch died, washer died, kitchen faucet died, valve for the stupid washer lines died, now lightening took out my sound bar. Trying to build a new pc here and only $900 to finish (cpu/motherboard/OS) and can't do it this way.

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I had a client that wanted me to cut some pieces of wood so she could fix her couch. She proudly announced that she and her boyfriend broke the couch !

Several years later she was back for more pieces, different boyfriend & other end of the couch !

I like the crowd you hang with.