Hijack!

Llama

Mom and dad started the company in 1945 and both went thru the depression. I suspect mom replaced this with a more modern one but, kept this in case the newer model went bad. I'll use this one to warm my shop this winter after adding a ground wire to it?. I suspect it can also be used to warm taco shells?

I hate when I make mistakes, but I hate even more when mistakes happen that were not really my fault. So when the tape slides up the drill bit and you don't realize it and punch through your counter with a 3/8" hole. The counter that was just completed and finished. 

Now I have to pour epoxy in and sorta refinish the area. 

Also I may have drilled into the dining room table. Not sure yet.

There may not be equivalents between IQ and performance, but there are general correlations in other areas. For example, driving a Prius means you aren't able to find the accelerator pedal. Driving a Volvo means you don't know how to use a turn signal.*

*These factors are locale-dependent. Seattle has a high percentage of said vehicles. Your locality may vary.

There may not be equivalents between IQ and performance, but there are general correlations in other areas. For example, driving a Prius means you aren't able to find the accelerator pedal. Driving a Volvo means you don't know how to use a turn signal.*

*These factors are locale-dependent. Seattle has a high percentage of said vehicles. Your locality may vary.

Sounds more like Ballard.

>
  • Like 1

I hate when I make mistakes, but I hate even more when mistakes happen that were not really my fault. So when the tape slides up the drill bit and you don't realize it and punch through your counter with a 3/8" hole. The counter that was just completed and finished. 

I've done something similar... I can highly recommend using tapered plug cutters to make a repair. It's even better with a size like 3/8 since then the hole is the right size.

You do seem to have had a lot of misfortune on this project though. Good luck on the dining room table.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

When I can't risk drilling through I use two precautions: 1) I have those collars that tighten onto the drill bit with an allen screw and 2) this sounds dangerous but it is not, unless you are drunk.  I place my finger on the underside of the work piece where the drill would blow through.  You will start to feel the bit telegraph before it actually blows through.  Also use a variable speed drill at a low speed.   Also if you measure in metric you are less likely to drill through :).  JK about the metric part  

The tape trick is cute in shop class and on yourube 101 videos but, as you found out, not reliable.  

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

When I can't risk drilling through I use two precautions: 1) I have those collars that tighten onto the drill bit with an allen screw and 2) this sounds dangerous but it is not, unless you are drunk.  I place my finger on the underside of the work piece where the drill would blow through.  You will start to feel the bit telegraph before it actually blows through.  Also use a variable speed drill at a low speed.   Also if you measure in metric you are less likely to drill through :).  JK about the metric part  

The tape trick is cute in shop class and on yourube 101 videos but, as you found out, not reliable.  

I have a set of those collars too, but they are mega cheap ones I bought my first week doing this. They are almost impossible to lock down. I have been planning on getting some good ones from LV. Guess what just moved up a few notches in priority? 

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

I've done something similar... I can highly recommend using tapered plug cutters to make a repair. It's even better with a size like 3/8 since then the hole is the right size.

You do seem to have had a lot of misfortune on this project though. Good luck on the dining room table.

I have a set of grizzly tapered plug cutters, I will have to check if that includes 3/8. I was just going to fill it with black epoxy and figure it would just look like another knot, but maybe plugs would be better. There was tearout though so that also has to be repaired. 

Take a look at a few knots first  then cut a few fake grain lines around the hole and blow-out. When you fill it with the black epoxy what you don't want to see is a perfectly round hole. When the eye sees the proper visual clues the brain concludes "knot ".

To really sell it I have used multiple colors of filler. Fill with one color, dry, sand flat then cut more fake grain lines that would continue the grain around the hole and fill those with a lighter(or darker) color.

• Like 2