Curved panels on furniture... how is this done?

MisterDrow

1 minute ago, Llama said:

That is something you should never tell yourself. You have to constantly challenge yourself. Pick a piece, and make it. If you screw it up, you can make it again. Who cares, just keep getting better. Choosing a project is not about skill level, it is about wanting to make the darn thing. So, go out there and make it.

Excellent point. I wasn't trying to say I won't try to make something like that... just that I really feel like I need to get some other completed projects under my belt before I attempt it. I'm sure when I get to that point, I'll still not be fully comfortable with the process but I'll figure it out. Growth comes from stepping out of one's comfort zone. I've done that with the desk (and a ton of other woodworking projects) I am building and have learned so much along the way. 

I have seen a lot of these desks without coopered panels. I think that is a price point issue. I have seen many with veneer lams over a frame with kerf glue strips etc.   Steve linked to doors. I would guess those are fixed panels with drawers on the seated side. I don't think bending ply is a bad option. 

• Like 1

One way is to use bending plywood. You make a form from MDF or other suitable material that matches the shape of the ends, then veneer both sides of the bending plywood to form the final shape using a vacuum press. Here is a very cost effective setup that would get you going.

Here's a link to a recent project I did using this method.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

I don't know of anyone saying that anymore. I just prefer words that make sense to me. I don't think I'm old but I do have to ask people at work what the hell they're trying to say sometimes. People keep using this ridiculous abbreviated internet language in everyday, face to face, interactions and I don't get it.

So maybe I am old.

old-man-with-a-walker-collection-001-218

lol

;)

• Like 1

I've used bending ply for years. It would be perfect for Llamas Suessian bookcase sides. Not so much for a curved door. The frame needs to be ridgid and the panel needs 2 clean faces . Plus the bending ply works best attached to a framework & usually 2 layers, it's around 3/8 thick usually.

• Like 2