Garage Shop Evolution (2014-present)

Denette

Your shop has evolved nicely, but like Richard said, it will keep changing! Great work and keep it up. 

PS - it's too early to read all of that before coffee so I took the easy way and looked at all the pics 

Ha! I don't blame you!

It will indeed keep changing. I have plans to replace one of the pegboards with more cabinets, replace the shop vac and miter saw with a CT and Kapex (someday when I win the lottery) and replace the table saw with a SawStop (again, after the lottery). I'm going back and forth on whether I've got enough room to add an outfeed/assembly table, but I'm thinking about that too. And more drawers in the miter counter. Here's the first one:

3041c9871049389f29f25d6a727bbae2.jpg4549eca5ae17e603ddbaf95cf6f98613.jpg

I just keep going back to the pic of the glue pattern.  The precision in the pattern has me fascinated.  Oh and I enjoyed following your journey.  Always interested in seeing how people come to where they are and who they've become, whatever that might be.  Perhaps in your case an excellent woodworker and glue applicator :)  I'm still on my journey...haven't left the pocket screw stage yet :)

• Like 2

Very Nice ! One of the things ive been fighting is my lumber storage\workbench tops. I took that standard 5 tier rack bolt free storage units, Lined the 2 halves end to end, and lined the top with 2x4's and attached a top. So i can store wood underneath, but have a top on it. Since the garage slopes, so does my work bench. It was a good Idea in theory, but i need to get rid of the concept and what ive wanted to build all along

I want to build a long miter bench with the long t-track stop system. The fence will also be inline with my radial arm saw, which is pretty much exclusively for Dado cuts. I need to incorporate leveling feet this time. /

Are you just shimming or using leveling feet?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, Waldvogel Review said:

Very Nice ! One of the things ive been fighting is my lumber storage\workbench tops. I took that standard 5 tier rack bolt free storage units, Lined the 2 halves end to end, and lined the top with 2x4's and attached a top. So i can store wood underneath, but have a top on it. Since the garage slopes, so does my work bench. It was a good Idea in theory, but i need to get rid of the concept and what ive wanted to build all along

I want to build a long miter bench with the long t-track stop system. The fence will also be inline with my radial arm saw, which is pretty much exclusively for Dado cuts. I need to incorporate leveling feet this time. /

Are you just shimming or using leveling feet?

It's just shimmed in place.  I got things lined up properly when I built the miter counter, and it hasn't shifted since.  Shims seem to do just fine.

31 minutes ago, Waldvogel Review said:

Did you glue the shims and then trim them AFTER or anything. The shims dont seem to shift?

Actually, believe it or not, I didn't glue them in place at all.  I did trim them so they weren't in the way, but only after installation.  I used a crappy chisel and hammered right through the shim and into the concrete.  The stability of the bench probably comes more from the fact that my counter was also screwed into wall studs after I knew it was perfectly level than from the shims.  Probably not best practice, but this counter was one of the first things I built for my shop.

Super minor improvement, but a necessary one. I have a Porter-Cable pancake compressor. It has two big problems. First, it vibrates so badly that it actually scoots itself around in a circle and eventually scoots so far that it wraps itself up in its cord and unplugs itself. I solved that problem by boring holes the same diameter as the feet in some 2x6 and cutting the 2x6 the right width to fit into one of the sections of the miter counter. It's new permanent home will be right there, third from the left.

62bef4cd78c017291a6561989776471d.jpg

It's second problem is that it is LOUD. If it kicks on and I'm not wearing hearing protection it startles me. I'd hate to think of what would happen if it cycled on while I was using a hand chisel right next to my fingers. Solution?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TP7C9YY/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484361003&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Soundproof that thing.

9a83fdff547f91c19da03e50680ad789.jpg

I need more of the foam (and a door over the cabinet), but even just this much has cut the noise back significantly. I'm pretty pleased!

• Like 1