First visit to harbor freight

I bought their chisels to scrape glue, works well $8.  I buy their foam brushes and other small disposable brushes.  Their lathes and dust collector aren't bad tools, I've also used one of their drill presses for a few years, def not amazing tools but not bad for the money, everything else probably not so much.  I do use their chainsaw sharpener which isn't bad.  Just get on their website and look around, the reviews are usually pretty on point, of course it's easy to get a lemon but you get 90 days to bring it back.  So if you buy a power tool, use it sooner than later in case it screws up.

• Like 2

• Clamps. Traditional F-style. Their aluminum clamps are good with a little modification @Marty Backe presented (ala Paul Sellers)
  • Dust Collector.
  • Drill Press.
  • HVLP guns, compressors, and compressor accessories/fittings. Skip the hose though, get a better quality hose.
  • Cheap-o trim router seems to work for light duty.
  • Chisels for glue clean-up.
  • Rubber mallets and deadblows.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Their "F" style clamps are worth every dime.

All four of the dimes is costs to buy one too.   Love these clamps.

HF tools are disposable tools, for the most part.   Even if they have a 50% fail rate, they are 25%-33% of the cost of a quality tool, so I'm still ahead financially. 

• Like 1

That's speaking purely on a financial basis.  I'm not referring to qualities and features.    But for things like clamps, it makes total sense.  A Clamp either clamps or it doesn't.   So if I can buy 4 of them for the cost of a name brand, and 2 of them fail, then I'm still ahead one clamp.   It's simple Expected value math. 

But of course there are many other qualities that enter into the value of a product, so that becomes a type of "Utility function" when assessing the value.  

There's a reason HF clamps, lathe's, and DC's are generally well liked, they are simple devices that only have to do a couple things.  A clamp clamps, lathes and DC's spin.  And not much else.  If they can get those few things to work right, then people are willing to overlook the other crappy parts on the piece, due to the price.    This too becomes part of the "Utility function".

I suppose it's a throw of the dice. When putting up the shop wall,  I needed to drill 10 holes in the concrete floor. I bought a hammer drill. It drilled one hole flawlessly. Wouldn't turn the bit for the second.  I'll spare the in-between.  3 trips back and on the 4th drI'll. I had 10 holes. 

I paid for it once and with the final return, ended up paying nothing. Semantically, I was financially ahead because i got ten holes for free..That's still a lousy argument.  

Harbor Freight is great for all manner of tools you plan to use once or on rare occasions.  They are also good for things that are hard to screw up like say moving blankets or cheap tarps.  The key is either knowing what is a gem or not prior to walking in.  I have bought quite a few items there over the years and not one has failed to live up to my admittedly lowered standards for items bought at HF.  In fact I can't think of anything bought there that actually failed, but again I research the gems and only use their tools for odd jobs vs constant use.  I do have 40 or so of their 6" F clamps but only use them for bent lamination glue ups where numbers are more important than actual clamping pressure.  Other than that they are the last clamp I would reach for, but they are functional just not what I would consider a pleasure to use.  

• Like 1