Roubo - Alder too soft?

bglenden

On 2/23/2017 at 10:26 PM, K Cooper said:

Padauk? BS! You've already committed to ebony?

I've been kicking around several ideas. I am 99% committed to making a Shaker bench. I am usually not a huge fan of contrast, but an all maple Shaker bench might look silly. Which is why I am thinking of other woods. 

I've been kicking around several ideas. I am 99% committed to making a Shaker bench. I am usually not a huge fan of contrast, but an all maple Shaker bench might look silly. Which is why I am thinking of other woods. 

For some reason those shaker benches with the blue painted cabinets look kinda cool to me. Not that id ever build one that way, but they have a certain appeal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, sheperd80 said:

For some reason those shaker benches with the blue painted cabinets look kinda cool to me. Not that id ever build one that way, but they have a certain appeal.

I planned on that for a very long time. I really like the look. My mind won't be made up until I'm ready to cut the wood for it. 

3 minutes ago, sheperd80 said:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Same here.  The more I look at Shaker designs the more I like them.  Except for the paint.  But the designs...beautiful in their simplicity.  The Shakers were nutbags but they had an eye for design.

16 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I'm 99% sure that when I eventually build my last bench, it will be the FWW shaker.

One thing's for sure...you can throw out any concerns about weight if you build a Shaker bench.  Those things are HEAVY.  You could put a hard maple top on an alder and plywood base and it'll hold your house down in a tornado. :D

• Like 2