Roubo - Alder too soft?

bglenden

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

For a place covered in trees the PacNW is tough.  I bought my bench wood (beech) at Edensaw Woods in  Port Townsend.  They have a huge warehouse and fairly reasonable prices.  I paid $2,25 a bf for the beech.  They also gave me a discount for quantity.  The problem is that with the ferry ride, for me it is a 4 hour round trip.  They deliver but I don't know how much they charge.  I refuse to use Crosscut because, I think, they are overpriced, and they are in Seattle, I will never spend another penny in that city.  A boat builder friend told me the other day that there a couple of places in Marysville, but I don't know anything about them.  Bell Forest gets rave reviews here, but I have not tried them yet.

Edensaw prices look good, but that's a 5 hour round trip. I guess I could make a Saturday out of it. I have never worked with European Beech. Janka scale lists it at 1300, seems plenty hard for a bench too me. Crosscut is expensive. Do you remember the name for the Marysville lumber yards?

Have you had any issues with the Beech moving?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MattF said:

Edensaw prices look good, but that's a 5 hour round trip. I guess I could make a Saturday out of it. I have never worked with European Beech. Janka scale lists it at 1300, seems plenty hard for a bench too me. Crosscut is expensive. Do you remember the name for the Marysville lumber yards?

Have you had any issues with the Beech moving?

Well beer was involved...I will email him tonight and see what he knows.  He builds boats for the Coast Guard so not a lot of wood.  But he said he could find out.  I will let you know.

The beech was a joy to work with, nice straight but kind of boring grain.  However it did move....and so did I, when I dropped the completed top on my foot breaking a couple of toes.:o   Other than that it has been great.

5 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Well beer was involved...I will email him tonight and see what he knows.  He builds boats for the Coast Guard so not a lot of wood.  But he said he could find out.  I will let you know.

The beech was a joy to work with, nice straight but kind of boring grain.  However it did move....and so did I, when I dropped the completed top on my foot breaking a couple of toes.:o   Other than that it has been great.

Ouch!!:o

39 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Why anyone would disagree just for the sake of disagreement is beyond my comprehension.

This is the problem, lots of people have said their reasons (both in other threads here, on podcasts, on youtube, on other forums, etc)... you seem to either ignore or disregard them entirely because you think every other opinion is "just wrong."

My bench is made of european beech btw, it was handed down from family, I didn't build it.I'm not claiming to be an expert on building a bench. But mine has plenty of damage done to it by me and the previous owner, it's plenty hard for hand planing boards and chiseling out mortises or waste from dovetails.  I agree there are plenty of wrong answers...I just don't think soft maple is one of them. I think alder would suck. I just don't think hundreds of other people should read this thread looking for information and think "hard maple must be the only good option because Eric said so and no one is disagreeing with him."

5 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I agree there are plenty of wrong answers...I just don't think soft maple is one of them. I think alder would suck. I just don't think hundreds of other people should read this thread looking for information and think "hard maple must be the only good option because Eric said so and no one is disagreeing with him."

My bench is soft maple...I've stated that a million times.  I won't be building another one.  My only point is that hard maple is the best option, not the only option.  I never said only.  I always said best.

Worth pointing out that BellForest has a package specifically for the Guild Ruobo. Prices range from $735 (Ash) to $850 (Hard Maple). Looks like they've got free shipping right now too. Now that's a lot more than local alder would cost, but it's a good price-point to think about, and its hard to beat the dealer knowing your cut list ahead of time.

I have to ask if you truly mean that R? This is the guild build Roubo section. Are you seriously suggestion a Roubo inspired bench of white pine. I think instead you contributed to the train wreck by not seeing the area of the forum this is posted in. If all you can muster is white pine, don't build this guild build. It is way too much work for a bench that will need refreshing often. Choose a bench design that suits the material limitations. I think too many jumped in on this as "is alder too soft for a bench" when it was "is alder too soft for this bench?" Context matters. 

• Like 1

Agreed, Carus. That's why I asked for a comparison of hard maple and european beech. Surely those two species are worthy of auguing the better to build a roubo.

I only tried to answer the original question in the most direct and unopinionated way I could. And the original question is "is alder too soft for a bench"?

As a side note, I read the forums using the 'Unread' feature of Tapatalk. While the thread topic is clearly visible on my screen, the forum topic usually runs off the side. I had no clue this was specifically in the Guild Build section.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

That's why I asked for a comparison of hard maple and european beech. Surely those two species are worthy of auguing the better to build a roubo.

I am very interested in this comparison too. Wood data base shows these two to be quite comparable. Ive heard domestic Beech is subject to move more than European Beech.

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Now for a question of my own...how does hard maple compare with european beech as workbench material?

I made my bench with european beech it  was the right price, easy to work, and even though it is not a roubo (gasp) I really like it.  The wood has yellowed with age which might be a down side for some, but I don't mind.  It has some scratches and dents but it holds up well to my abuse, 

• Like 2

no one has mentioned oak .... why is that? Almost as hard as hard maple and cheaper than hard maple, at least at my store. .... just sayin :)

Also @Eric I do miss Trip so much! That was a huge loss seeing him go :( I could ask that crazy old man anything under the sun and he would most likely be able to answer it with like 5 paragraphs of info amazing haha 

• Like 1