Kym's Table

Ronn W

6 hours ago, Eric. said:

You do clean work, Ronn.  I always appreciate seeing a meticulous nature.

Just curious...is there a reason you didn't just buy 8/4 to save yourself all that gluing?

PS...the Domino is a "joiner," not a "jointer."  Sorry, terminology police on duty.

You damn St Louie fuzz are everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

e Domino "Joiner" will only reach about 1" below the surface 

Hey Ronn - not trying to insult you but just wanted to make sure you're aware since it seems like you're new to the domino - you don't need to use the fence on the domino.  You can plunge wherever you want.  Set up a stop block and plunge away.

Project is coming along nicely.  Good job.

Also the time it takes to glue up all that 4/4 costs you more than the little bit extra you'd pay for 8/4...and it's a better looking end product.  A longer flush trim bit doesn't cost that much either and it's something you'll use often.  Friendly tips...not trying to be a jerk.  Seriously.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Also the time it takes to glue up all that 4/4 costs you more than the little bit extra you'd pay for 8/4...and it's a better looking end product.  A longer flush trim bit doesn't cost that much either and it's something you'll use often.  Friendly tips...not trying to be a jerk.  Seriously.

It's on my wish list.  Appreciate the input.   (Seems like that list keeps getting longer with each additional tools purchase?) :D

28 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Hey Ronn - not trying to insult you but just wanted to make sure you're aware since it seems like you're new to the domino - you don't need to use the fence on the domino.  You can plunge wherever you want.  Set up a stop block and plunge away.

I have book marked the link, thanks.

• Like 1

Ronn, I think laminating the legs that way does have the advantage of extra strength through the curves. I first thought your design used a bent curve, and I got worried about the grain splitting in the curves when you sawed them out. But the lamination layers have different grain patterns, so there won't be a single weak point.

I knew thing were going tooo smoothly........so I radiused the ends of the support pieces that sit on top of the legs (1 1/2" radius) and did one upside down.  Fortunately I can filp it over and re drill the mortises for the legs.  I plugged the old mortises with tenons - they won't show anyway once the top is on.  Will I ever have a project where I don't make any stupid mistakes....probably not.

No new pics right now. All the mortises are cut and test fit.  In the process of rounding edges and sanding in preparation for gluing up the legs stretchers and base.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:05 AM, Eric. said:

You do clean work, Ronn.  I always appreciate seeing a meticulous nature.

Just curious...is there a reason you didn't just buy 8/4 to save yourself all that gluing?

PS...the Domino is a "joiner," not a "jointer."  Sorry, terminology police on duty.

When I first started looking into this, I was mighty confused on how a flat finger removing table thingy was going to cut dovetails for me. 

This is an amazing design and work, I'm inspired!