New house and new shop !

shaneymack

11 hours ago, shaneymack said:

There is one thing in my shop doesn't belong to the shop. One of the central vaccuum hoses. There is a closet at the top of the landing in my shop and it lives in there. I gave my wife a hard time and told her no way, that's gotta go. Since the previous owners had it in there I let it slide. Other than that, if the shed can't hold it, it lives outside. All the kids bikes stay outside. I have to defend my space like its war over here. If I'm off my guard all of a sudden there will be crap everywhere lol. They have 6000 sq ft, I have 400, I don't feel bad !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Awesome house and nice job on getting that shop setup!

I HATED our central vac, lugging that damn hose out was far more trouble than it was ever worth. I might end up using it as a bandsaw vac but for now I just took it offline and we run a normal upright vac.

• Like 1

Awesome house and nice job on getting that shop setup!

I HATED our central vac, lugging that damn hose out was far more trouble than it was ever worth. I might end up using it as a bandsaw vac but for now I just took it offline and we run a normal upright vac.

That is completely the opposite of our experience with Central Vac. I could never go back to an upright.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, shaneymack said:

That is completely the opposite of our experience with Central Vac. I could never go back to an upright.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Same here.

Nice place. Would it be possible for you to annex a little basement space to house the dust collector, compressor, and some storage? Seems like they have way too much anyway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Nice place. Would it be possible for you to annex a little basement space to house the dust collector, compressor, and some storage? Seems like they have way too much anyway.

Since the garage is next to the yard, it may be easier to build a shed for kids bikes and stuff and carve some space for the DC and compressor. 

Same here.

Thanks Frank.

Check out the pics. Cyclone is already installed and most of the ductwork done as well.

Congrats!  My jealousy knows no bounds . . . including my rather distant memory of being able to bend at the waist like that while working.  I'm a squatter now in my old age.  Keep those pictures coming.  I am so loving this.

Thanks Dub ! LOL @ bending at the waist! Thats actually my buddy but i can do the same maneuver haha......Not sure for how much longer though. Lol.

More pics to come !

You going to keep both garage doors functional or you going to build a wall in front of 1 for more wall storage and take the tracks down?

Did you insulate the floors, couldn't tell from pictures?

Both garage doors will be technically functional but the jointer will be in fronnt of one of them. I do not plan on building a wall in front. I want to have acces to it if i ever need it. The jointer is on a rolling base and moves really easily.

No insulation on the concrete floor.

Did you run a drop in your floor for the table saw?

Nope, It will drop from above.

Interesting that you chose to do the wooden floor. I priced it out for mine and it came out to somewhere around $1000. (18x18, double layered 1/2" osb or plywood with insulation in between the 2x4's) I figured if I was going to spend that much, might as well tear up the old concrete floor and pour a new one. Though we'll see if I flip back the other direction on that decision.

Also, that is one of the straightest maples I've ever seen. Dunno if that is common for sugar maple or not.

9 hours ago, Cliff said:

I figured if I was going to spend that much, might as well tear up the old concrete floor and pour a new one.

When we bought our current home the garage floor was a mess. We had it demoed and repoured. 4" slab, 5 bag mix.  The area is 19'x19' and it cost around 2500. That was the low bid and we got what we paid for. What a mess.

Don't know concrete prices in your area but I think you would be hard pressed to get a new slab, 18x18 for anywhere near 1000.