New house and new shop !

shaneymack

21 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I debated doing a concrete top coat. Breaking up the entire slab to repour was definitely not an option. If i went with a standard concrete the minimum pour is around 2-2.5" . I was concerned that if i ever sold this house, the next owner would want to park in the garage and that would be a problem. Would be impossible to just remove the top coat in the future due to the concrete adhesive that is rolled before the pour. The next thought was getting a truck of self leveling. I called my concrete supplier and they didnt even have it available and I gave up there because it probably would have been thousands of dollars. Then I finally came to my senses and realized I hate working on concrete and decided to build the wood floor. I love the floor now. Dead flat, nice to walk on, easier on the tools and project pieces when they drop, wasnt too expensive and was only around 4-5 hours max from start to finish not including the epoxy paint. I cant think of any reason as to why id would ever want a concrete floor again in the future.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Right on. The only reason I'm torn is because the demo will be done by me - which saves a lot of money. And we can dispose of it at the family farm. More and more my wife is talking about maybe I should just put a new floor in so who knows. I don't really notice the concrete hurting me, but that's probably cause I'm fat and hurt from walking on marshmellows too. I'm tired of the tripping over jagged chunks of concrete in my floor. 

13 hours ago, Alan G said:

When we bought our current home the garage floor was a mess. We had it demoed and repoured. 4" slab, 5 bag mix.  The area is 19'x19' and it cost around 2500. That was the low bid and we got what we paid for. What a mess.

Don't know concrete prices in your area but I think you would be hard pressed to get a new slab, 18x18 for anywhere near 1000.

Oh no, not saying $1000, just that if I'm going to spend $1000 on a wood floor, maybe just spend the $2-3k. Concrete around here is $125/yard and I'd need 5 I think. I'd do the demo, leveling, etc. 

How long do those LSLs come that you framed the floor with? Was that some custom order to get + 20'? 

Have you ever used those to frame your houses? 

I'm not sure how long the timberstrands come. I custom ordered 20' so that i could span the entire shop with one piece. Totally worth 26$ each to me.

We use engineered studs for columns under beams and for outdoor applications like holding up roofs over concrete balconies. They come in all sorts of widths and lengths, are dead straight and wicked strong. Another good application would be framing the kitchen walls with them to be sure it is nice and straight for the cabinets.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Dead flat, nice to walk on, easier on the tools and project pieces when they drop, wasnt too expensive and was only around 4-5 hours max from start to finish not including the epoxy paint. I cant think of any reason as to why id would ever want a concrete floor again in the future.

You want to come do mine :) 

I'm pretty sure LSL beams are made 60 ft long and a couple of fairly chunky sizes. Then they resaw them down to the many sizes that are offered. 

Ive got a 24 ft perfect redwood 2x4 that was leftover from a job. I stuck it on a high shelf and forgot about it. Found it when I was moving the shop,still haven't thought up a use for it. I hate to think what one would cost today if it's even available.

• Like 1

Looks like you have a lot of work yet to do but that's gonna be a great space.  Just enough.  Welcome to the just enough club.

Something about those steps leading up to the house makes it feel cozy.  Can't explain it but it does.

Does that other door with the ladder next to it lead outside?  Urination station?

• Like 1

Looks like you have a lot of work yet to do but that's gonna be a great space.  Just enough.  Welcome to the just enough club.

Something about those steps leading up to the house makes it feel cozy.  Can't explain it but it does.

Does that other door with the ladder next to it lead outside?  Urination station?

Yup, lots of work left ! Im putting in a sink so that will be the dedicated urination station. Going outside is too far.

• Like 1

Looks like a great space and you will ove having that bright lite. On another note fishing that wire through there with only two holes is downright impressive! 

Ya it was really impressive. I told him a few times to just bust a bunch of holes, it's no big deal but he refused. I was sure they would not have been able to do it but they did !

• Like 1