New house and new shop !

shaneymack

I've never owned a Paslode, but a Dewalt I bought once when my old Senco needed a part, and I couldn't wait, came with a fold up hook.  I had gotten so used to using one without a hook, that the one on the Dewalt was more of an irritation to me than not having one.

Shop looks great!  I hope you'll be happy there for a long time.

• Like 1

Kudos to Shaneymack  he's a machine ! Building suspended stuff like that by yourself is a right pain in the ass !

So does the rod hang from a crosspiece above the ceiling trusses or just the 2x4 that's screwed below the Sheetrock ?

If you paint the underside of that mezzanine white it will bounce light much better. I never did at my last shop and it wasn't as bright as I would have liked below it.

• Like 1

Your shop is incredible man.

Lol, thanks man. It's getting there but still far from incredible !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Shop is almost there and I bet your glad. Like how you have it laid out so far. Hope things are slowing down some now at home.

Slowing down? What's that?

• Like 1

Kudos to Shaneymack  he's a machine ! Building suspended stuff like that by yourself is a right pain in the ass !

So does the rod hang from a crosspiece above the ceiling trusses or just the 2x4 that's screwed below the Sheetrock ?

If you paint the underside of that mezzanine white it will bounce light much better. I never did at my last shop and it wasn't as bright as I would have liked below it.

Thanks, Steve! I totally agree, doing suspended stuff is a ton of work especially with no scaffold. If the shop wasn't full of crap I would have set myself up better than just a ladder.

The 2x4s on the ceiling are screw into the joists above which are 12" o.c. the threaded rod was put through the 2x4 and into the ceiling. I predrilled a 2" hole in the gyproc to accept the rod, nut and washer. At the mezzanine end, the rod is sandwiched between 2 2x4s with a small dado in each so that rod can pass between them.

Painting the mezzanine white would be a great idea. I've been thinking of it, just not sure I will do it anytime soon. I just want to start using the shop already ! The grandfather clock has to be ready in 30 days !!!

• Like 2

Shane - what is the box assembly in the DC line with the FT sticker on it? Is that a home built transition for the flange? I'm asking because I need to come up with some sort of flange to transition from the cyclone to where the filter is to port the fines outside. 

Shane - what is the box assembly in the DC line with the FT sticker on it? Is that a home built transition for the flange? I'm asking because I need to come up with some sort of flange to transition from the cyclone to where the filter is to port the fines outside. 

That is exactly what it is. My duct guy made me that custom transition to be able to vent outside. It goes to an 8" round duct.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Shane couple questions. Did you have your collector direct vented before? If so any issues with heat/air conditioning loss? Can you post a pick of the outside? Also how on earth did you get that motor lifted that high? 

Looks great by the way and I would love to have running water in my shop.

Shane couple questions. Did you have your collector direct vented before? If so any issues with heat/air conditioning loss? Can you post a pick of the outside? Also how on earth did you get that motor lifted that high? 

Looks great by the way and I would love to have running water in my shop.

Hi Paul, Yes I had my system vented outside at my last shop. I don't have AC so that isn't a concern. As for heat, the only issue I have is that when the dust collector is on, the heat gets sucked out LOL. I've said this many times before, it doesn't bother me at all. Even if I run my DC for 10-15 mins straight (which doesn't happen often in a hobby shop) the shop does not get freezing cold and the heater heats it back up quickly. To me, this is totally worth it to not have to deal with filter cleaning. Also, the system is MUCH stronger since I vented outside. It's a lot quieter as well. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The top of the motor is a few inches away from the ceiling and the ceilings are almost 12' in my shop. It took some heaving and grimacing but we got er done. My bro and I were on ladders and my dad pushed from the ground. It almost fell and we almost died but all is good now LOL.

I am super stoked to have the sink in the shop. I figured since I was starting from scratch that I might as well do it right. I had a big slop sink in my first shop and loved it.

I will try to remember to take a picture of the exterior for you tomorrow.

• Like 1

Thanks Shane! I really need to think about this. In my current design I have the motor/cyclone/bin in a closet with the filter on the shop side of the wall. I did this because I was/am concerned about pumping the conditioned air out of the shop. However the noise is really starting to bug me so I have been thinking about a small closet on the back wall of the shop but doing that really doesn't solve the problem if I have to keep it open to the shop to pump the conditioned air back in the shop. If I decide to just pump it out I may as well just do what you have done in your shop. Thanks again for sharing!!

• Like 1

I am considering venting outside as well, my shop (30x40) has a large gas furnace and I decided to use a filter because I would need to open one of my doors slightly to allow replacement air, and that's a lot of space to reheat!  I am looking at putting in a diverter gate to allow me to vent outside most of the year and only run through the filters when I am running my furnace.  

• Like 1

I can picture someone slipping out the back door of Shaneymack's shop into a dust shower !

Lol, there isn't that much dust coming out.

I am considering venting outside as well, my shop (30x40) has a large gas furnace and I decided to use a filter because I would need to open one of my doors slightly to allow replacement air, and that's a lot of space to reheat!  I am looking at putting in a diverter gate to allow me to vent outside most of the year and only run through the filters when I am running my furnace.  

I will have a return air duct installed in the next few weeks.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:41 PM, pkinneb said:

Thanks Shane! I really need to think about this. In my current design I have the motor/cyclone/bin in a closet with the filter on the shop side of the wall. I did this because I was/am concerned about pumping the conditioned air out of the shop. However the noise is really starting to bug me so I have been thinking about a small closet on the back wall of the shop but doing that really doesn't solve the problem if I have to keep it open to the shop to pump the conditioned air back in the shop. If I decide to just pump it out I may as well just do what you have done in your shop. Thanks again for sharing!!

Sorry for the diversion, but for something like this, would using the core of an HRV (heat recover ventilator) work?  This is nowhere near my area of expertise, but we have an HRV in our house and it does a great job and seems very efficient.  I was surprised that the core of it is very simple and quite small.  I wonder if you could install this inline just before venting to the outside.  The fresh air could be drawn in from further away so as not to bring in the dust you're getting rid of.  In theory this should minimize some of the loss of heat/AC.  Does this sound even reasonable?

2 minutes ago, Art said:

Sorry for the diversion, but for something like this, would using the core of an HRV (heat recover ventilator) work?  

I believe the flow rates are quite different. Add to that that the ejected fines will swirl quite a bit. You'd need exhaust and inlet far apart. With standard HRV, you are trying for super efficient furnace effect, or just dumping the occasional high humidity air. Humidity does not cause the same respiratory trouble as fine dust, so if it swirls it will still dry out a lot with each cycle outside. 

Sorry for the diversion, but for something like this, would using the core of an HRV (heat recover ventilator) work?  This is nowhere near my area of expertise, but we have an HRV in our house and it does a great job and seems very efficient.  I was surprised that the core of it is very simple and quite small.  I wonder if you could install this inline just before venting to the outside.  The fresh air could be drawn in from further away so as not to bring in the dust you're getting rid of.  In theory this should minimize some of the loss of heat/AC.  Does this sound even reasonable?

The last time my hvac guy set up the intake with around 16' of duct on a big loop. The entrance was up high and the pipe dropped to the floor and looped right back all the way to the top of the wall. The concept was that the air had a chance to warm up a bit before it actually entered the shop. He will probably so something similar here. Once it is installed I will post some pics.

An HRV wouldn't work because of the speed the air would be passing inside the box. I think it would be too fast for the heat to transfer to the cool air. Then there is the problem of your contaminated air mixing with your fresh air.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

The last time my hvac guy set up the intake with around 16' of duct on a big loop. The entrance was up high and the pipe dropped to the floor and looped right back all the way to the top of the wall. The concept was that the air had a chance to warm up a bit before it actually entered the shop. He will probably so something similar here. Once it is installed I will post some pics.

An HRV wouldn't work because of the speed the air would be passing inside the box. I think it would be too fast for the heat to transfer to the cool air. Then there is the problem of your contaminated air mixing with your fresh air.

That sounds like a reasonable solution.  Basically you're trying to achieve counter current heat exchange.  Your system could be made a bit more efficient if the venting to the outside was physically looped alongside the incoming air.  Either way, I'd be curious to hear if your system actually warms up the air noticeably.