What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

13 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

270 WSM is a great round, I would carry it all the time it’s meant to be used not sit in the safe

It is an excellent round but it's also overkill. Ammo is impossible to find so at some point I'll be limited to brass on hand and the number of times I can reload said brass. I'm already at the cross roads where I either reload or the bullet weight my rifle likes, or rezero everything at a new bullet weight and then in 5 years be out of ammo again.

The only downside and reason i want a new rifle is currently the magnum round carries a 24" barrel and it's not a good bush gun. I moved from hunting open field to hunting dense brush. I'm even tempted to revert to open sights ... GASP!

• Like 2

Drew, get yourself a big, slow, heavy round for brush hunting. Twig deflection can be terrible for lighter, high velocity rounds. The Browning 1892 .44 Magnum I hunted with as a teen once hit target from about 30 yards, through a 12" utility pole. 

Trying to "Rifleman" my way through all 12 rounds was a blast, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Drew, get yourself a big, slow, heavy round for brush hunting. Twig deflection can be terrible for lighter, high velocity rounds. The Browning 1892 .44 Magnum I hunted with as a teen once hit target from about 30 yards, through a 12" utility pole. 

Trying to "Rifleman" my way through all 12 rounds was a blast, too!

You call a 12" utility pole a TWIG!!! That said if i was going to get a big slow round i'd get a dedicated slug shotgun. Not off the table but not really the direction I want to go either.

I've heard a LOT of conflicting information on twig deflection. LIKE hours of heated debates, in bars, after hunting. I think there is a benefit but it's not as large as some people make you think. In my opinion hitting any obstruction could cause the bullet to tumble and at that point all bets are off. The argument in my mind is will a lighter bullet that is spinning faster recover or take more to start tumbling than a heavier bullet that is spinning slower? Will the smaller bullet be less likely to hit an obstruction? I think the best advice is hope for a clear shot, or try and get lucky.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2014/05/how-much-does-brush-deflect-rifle-bullet/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

John, explain both of these please for the inexperienced. Did you edge glue these thin pieces together or onto a substrate? And the hammer?

I was veneering plywood substrate with some cherry veneer using the “hammer veneering” technique. It doesn’t actually involve a hammer. First pic is before it is glued down and the second is after. It’s a really quick process. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Coop said:

Pretty darn cool. How is the bottom can (not paint can) attached? 

The bottom is a standard trash can. The OSB platform that the gear sits on actually rests on the can, not the frame. To remove the trash can, I lift the platform up just enough for clearance and put a block between it and the frame so the can slides out. Future project is to add cam levers for that part. The platform has holes at each corner that fit loosely over dowels in the frame, so it can lift & lower without slipping to the sides.

• Like 1

Coop, in my 'tiny shop', there is no piped network. That DC connects only my tablesaw at the moment, but there is a Y under there for extending to the saw wing router table in the future. Sanders all connect to a shop vac. The only other machine with a collection port is my DW735, I guess I'll have to add a way to tie it in.

FWIW, the baffle separates reasonably well. Fine dust blows right through, but I frankly wouldn't care much if ALL of it blew through, so long as it is out of my miniature workspace. I never knew how much that filter bag allowed to pass when I was working in the big, open garage, but it was horrible in a small, closed-in space.

I can sympathize. I have a HF conversion 24” x 44” monster that is on wheels that connects to my jointer, ts, bs and drum sander, as needed. Plug and unplug. I have a mobile shop vac that I plug into my router table. My 735 planer has it’s own “sock” that collects the discharge, which is wonderful. All blow, no vac. 

Well that’s not good at all Drew glad you got it sealed up, super glue works good but it kind of stings when you put it on, got the end of my thumb with a 1/2” chisel last year, 10 stitches not good, lost feeling in the tip, no pictures but just as well it was not pretty but a good lesson on not what to do

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 12:03 AM, Coop said:

Good thing you live in the NE as super glue is not available everywhere. Blue tape and WD40 and you’ll be good. 

Is super glue really not available everywhere in the US?

Today my wife's key got stuck in the front door. I decided to try and shop with a small business instead of Home Depot but the locksmith didn't have the knob in stock and it was going to be $69. Home Depot, Lowes and Amazon have the same lock for $30. I still need to run to a local small engine repair shop and pick up a new carburetor for Honda engine on a pressure washer. That's only a few dollars more then ordering online and I can get it before the weekend.