What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Hostas are widely varied. Most only like some shade and will not blossom without a few hours of sun each day. The more sun, the more water you have to provide. I have never seen any fail to thrive if they don’t freeze, so I assume that means seeds need the stratification process to germinate? For full sun areas, I plant on the north side of concrete steps or building corners. Tree shade also works well if the trees don’t suck all the moisture out of the ground. 

Tom, I have something similar coming up. I am adding a 300 sq ft bath and closet to our house. The gc says that our ac is large enough to support the addition. We’ll see. If not, I’m faced with buying a bigger unit and never thought about a mini split. I guess you looked into the difference in the cost of a new unit and the mini split? Perhaps I should allow space and wire for one, just in case. I guess they have their own thermostat and kick on when needed. 

I hope all works out well with your mom. 

11 hours ago, Coop said:

Tom, I have something similar coming up. I am adding a 300 sq ft bath and closet to our house. The gc says that our ac is large enough to support the addition. We’ll see. If not, I’m faced with buying a bigger unit and never thought about a mini split. I guess you looked into the difference in the cost of a new unit and the mini split? Perhaps I should allow space and wire for one, just in case. I guess they have their own thermostat and kick on when needed. 

I hope all works out well with your mom. 

Coop the are used all the time in theater rooms and are very cost effective vs swapping out your normal AC unit. Mr Cool sells DIY units that come fully charged and are pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

Tom that might be the fanciest weight room I've ever seen! Glad your mom is doing well and you're able to take her in. Are you going to keep working by yourself or bring big Mike back?

That was one of my no sheetrock rooms.  I bought the hear mirror glass for the circle top window for $15 at the flea market.  It was ordered as a replacement.  They sent the wrong size, and told him to keep this one.  The seller was just wanting to get rid of it.  I built the frame for it.  The header was also the finished surface of the jamb.  I laid up multiple layers of plywood, and parked a truck tire on it for clamping.  The building inspector said it was the strongest thing he'd ever seen in a house.

Probably not only going to put Mike back to work, but as many others as I can find too, pretty soon.  The Foundation that owns the 1798 house got word that their grant for rebuilding the stone basement was going through.  I don't know how long it will take them to finalize that, but as soon as I know we can get paid, we're going in the rock busting business.

I'll stay separated from everyone, and let Mike supervise what I want done.  There's a lot of rock moving, dirt digging, and general hard work to be done before we can pour concrete, and start laying stones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Chestnut, that one tree seems to be missing a big scab of bark. Around here, insects would kill it in short order, if it wasn't sealed over. Is that not a problem at your latitude?

That one tree is probably the dead tree that I'm cutting down this fall when i rent a bucket lift. It's been dead a few years now. I guess i'm not sure about bugs attaching it do you mean wood boring bugs like termites? We don't have termites.

• Like 1