What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Paul, I like the hose adapter - much like Mac's. I may add that to mine, but when I did a test in a similar configuration the hose kept coming loose from the the dust port at the router. I wound up wrapping it around the left side which was more convenient to the location of the CT26 anyway. No more pop offs. My drawers are in the front, so left side access is not an issue.

IMG_14911.thumb.jpeg.58db609eb62ac436182259284bb275f0.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mick S said:

Paul, I like the hose adapter - much like Mac's. I may add that to mine, but when I did a test in a similar configuration the hose kept coming loose from the the dust port at the router. I wound up wrapping it around the left side which was more convenient to the location of the CT26 anyway. No more pop offs. My drawers are in the front, so left side access is not an issue.

Thanks I’ll keep an eye on that and adjust as needed!

13 hours ago, Coop said:

You messed up by posting a pic of the hose adapter before getting it patented. Rockler will have it in their catalog next month. 

Seriously though, is that a seal of sort where the hose plugs in? 

I actually copied it, Mac Sheldon at Pantorouter came up with it

They do seal tight but primarily just a way to connect the two different size hoses cheap and easy while attaching them to the cart.

I think you underestimate how much the car will charge in a couple of hours. The 7kW charge is going to ad 20-30 mi in rage ever hour of charging.

I was told there are going to be some future updates to the Model Y that well increase range to roughly 500 mi but will be able to charge quickly ~30min at a charging station. This has me excited as I just did a 430mi trip one way honestly after 6 hours in a car a 30 min break is needed. Some day i'll have an electric vehicle but it might be when someone makes an EV work truck. I have no desire to buy any of the electric pickups that are being talked about they have too many superfluous features and probably are too expensive.

23 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I think you underestimate how much the car will charge in a couple of hours. The 7kW charge is going to ad 20-30 mi in rage ever hour of charging.

I was told there are going to be some future updates to the Model Y that well increase range to roughly 500 mi but will be able to charge quickly ~30min at a charging station. This has me excited as I just did a 430mi trip one way honestly after 6 hours in a car a 30 min break is needed. Some day i'll have an electric vehicle but it might be when someone makes an EV work truck. I have no desire to buy any of the electric pickups that are being talked about they have too many superfluous features and probably are too expensive.

It’s rated to charge at about 30mi/hr with my car and charger setup. However, with my wife getting home at 3-4am on those days, I’m not wanting to rely on her remembering or taking the time to plug it in, though she probably will.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

This might be right up your alley, Drew.

https://bollingermotors.com/

Low superfluosity, probably still to expensive, but pretty cool.

I saw that. I need something that I can actually buy though and Megan is going to take 1 look at that and say "NO! Never in a million years!". At $125,000, what are you getting? 4 wheels, some batteries and an electric motor? I'm ok with the fleet vehicle bare bones but I want the fleet vehicle price as well. For $125,000 there are literally thousands of other vehicles I'd rather have. Heck i could probably have someone make me A Tesla powered 1950s ford F-100 for that much. If the Ford F-150 looks identical to every other F-150 i have a feeling it's going to be the most popular EV in a short amount of time, and I mean vehicle including cars, suvs, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

I’m not wanting to rely on her remembering or taking the time to plug it in, though she probably will.

There are going to be days when one or the other of you forgets to plug it in.  Heck there are nights I forget to recharge my phone and there were mornings I'd find the gas tank empty because I'd forgotten to buy gas on the previous trip.  So it's good you have a back up plan.  

I seem to remember that BMW's roadside assistance could also provide a rapid partial charge.  I imagine Tesla has something similar.  

John, out of curiosity was one of the alternatives you looked at the Chevy Bolt?  If so I'm currious how you thought the two compared?  

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

For $125,000 there are literally thousands of other vehicles I'd rather have. 

Have to agree on that. The price point is ludicrous for the product. Range is the puniest of any upcoming electric truck offering, but from the looks of it, Bollinger will dominate the off-road market. If the price become reasonable. And if the aluminum chassis doesn't crumple like a PBR on a redneck's forehead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 6:30 AM, Chestnut said:

For $125,000 there are literally thousands of other vehicles I'd rather have.

Agreed. From the website, it looks like a bit of a Mickey Mouse operation that is nowhere near to selling actual vehicles. I can see the appeal of the rugged, squared off, flat paneled look to some though. The range is another thing. A truck is expected to be able to do work and a range of 200 miles will very quickly shrink to a fraction of that with a trailer hitched to it.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, Mark J said:

John, out of curiosity was one of the alternatives you looked at the Chevy Bolt?  If so I'm currious how you thought the two compared?  

Not in great depth. There weren't any dealers in a reasonable distance that had any to test drive or look at. I looked at it online, and I think there is a lot to like about it. I don't remember the specifics but when I went to price it out it ended up close enough to the cost of the Tesla that I didn't pursue it any further.

One downside to Tesla is that currently insurance companies are charging more for them than other EVs or similar ICE cars. I am hoping that they will start to differentiate between cars with and without the full self driving computer/software, which I think is what is really driving up their price. The increase wasn't a deal breaker for us but is certainly something to consider.

• Like 1

All my Scientist friends drive Tesla's.  I haven't kept up with which models though.  We thought about getting one, when Pam was needing a new car, but the range just won't work for us out here in the boonies yet.

Her new Subaru has all the electronic safety stuff, which she keeps turned on.  I don't like driving it because I use the line on the inside of turns as surface to change turn radius's, without even thinking about it.  The car wants to argue with me through every turn.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom King said:

Her new Subaru has all the electronic safety stuff, which she keeps turned on.  I don't like driving it because I use the line on the inside of turns as surface to change turn radius's, without even thinking about it.  The car wants to argue with me through every turn.

Megan drives a newer subaru and that car hates me as well. I'm either following too closely driving over lines or am not stopping fast enough.

The programing just wasn't designed for city driving, the funny part is I'm one of the better people on the road.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I can see the insurance carrier's point of view. As cars with self-drive ability become more common, there will be a lot of 'gray area' over responsibilty for accidents. Until legal precedent is established in that regard, they are trying to cover their bases as best they can.

It is interesting to think about. They are essentially trying to insure an unknown. I know the self driving industry can claim that it's safer but one software glitch could have a huge impact on claims. Also the unknown on liability is huge. If you were to ask me to quote a unknown table project I'm going to shoot high as it's easier to adjust down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I can see the insurance carrier's point of view. As cars with self-drive ability become more common, there will be a lot of 'gray area' over responsibilty for accidents. Until legal precedent is established in that regard, they are trying to cover their bases as best they can.

Bases?  Hmmm, my thought would have been A**es!

• Haha 1

Part of the insurance cost is the repair cost factor. Cars like the Subaru with cameras behind the windshield require OEM glass which costs more then non-OEM. Look up how much room is needed to calibrate the cameras for repairs. I think Toyota’s need 300’. Have you ever seen a body shop that’s 300’ long with nothing in front?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

Part of the insurance cost is the repair cost factor. Cars like the Subaru with cameras behind the windshield require OEM glass which costs more then non-OEM. Look up how much room is needed to calibrate the cameras for repairs. I think Toyota’s need 300’. Have you ever seen a body shop that’s 300’ long with nothing in front?

An airport hanger.:ph34r: