What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 8/31/2020 at 12:18 PM, Chestnut said:

The only downside and reason i want a new rifle is currently the magnum round carries a 24" barrel and it's not a good bush gun. I moved from hunting open field to hunting dense brush. I'm even tempted to revert to open sights ... GASP!

I'm looking for another new rifle next year in 6.5CM., most of them have a 24" barrel Haven't decided which on to get yet, but am leaning hard at the Ruger Precision. Magnums, by their nature, all have longer barrels.

I don't know about brush busting, lots of discussion as you have said. But a heavy 44 round seems like it would toss twigs aside (not 12" poles!) fairly well, and I have a handy Winchester 94 lever gun in that caliber if I ever need to try it. :)

On 8/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, Tom King said:

I know it's Sunday, but I worked from early until dark.  My 104 year old Mother is moving in with us on Wednesday.

Long story shortened some, she was in Assisted LIving, had stroke-hospital-nursing home-got better-assisted living got Covid cases while she was gone, and can't go back-she tested negative-gotta go from nursing home because she's all better-moving in here.

Pam and I have cleared out the addition I built for our Master BR suite.  I built it handicap accessible, but never put up all the handrails, or finished all the trim. We've moved ourselves back in the old part of the house, like we used to live here. 

That sunset picture reminded me to ask, how's things going with your mother?  She get moved in allright and settled in?

18 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Note to self...if you're not sawing shut the damn saw off

I found that ear muffs can contribute to not turning the saw off.  Sometimes it is after I turn the DC off that I notice the saw is running.

My two brake trips were when using the miter gauge at an angle which changes the proximity of the fence to the blade.:o  I still would rather have to replace a brake and blade over a digit.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I found that ear muffs can contribute to not turning the saw off.  Sometimes it is after I turn the DC off that I notice the saw is running.

My two brake trips were when using the miter gauge at an angle which changes the proximity of the fence to the blade.:o  I still would rather have to replace a brake and blade over a digit.

You mean like this @Chet:o It happensC21A062A-763F-430F-AEE4-09D23A0CADE3.jpeg.f72d9312cef08a70912a1dba476ee6ad.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

That's a very common cause. One guy on Sawmill Creek tripped his 3 times withing a couple of months for that reason. I have an sacrificial MDF fence faced with sandpaper that I have sticking out about 50 mm past the aluminum to minimize the chance of that happening.

42 minutes ago, drzaius said:

That's a very common cause. One guy on Sawmill Creek tripped his 3 times withing a couple of months for that reason. I have an sacrificial MDF fence faced with sandpaper that I have sticking out about 50 mm past the aluminum to minimize the chance of that happening.

I did this to mine as well.

I almost did that a few days ago.

We had a brake trip yesterday at school that we're contacting SS about. One of the students changed to a different blade  that's been on several times before. The blade turned freely by hand and there was no blink code error. When she fired it up the brake tripped.

Scratching our heads.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mick S said:

I almost did that a few days ago.

We had a brake trip yesterday at school that we're contacting SS about. One of the students changed to a different blade  that's been on several times before. The blade turned freely by hand and there was no blink code error. When she fired it up the brake tripped.

Scratching our heads.

How long has the saw been in service, Mick? Even solid-state electronics begin to fail as the age.

32 minutes ago, Mark J said:

@JohnG, I was just wondering today when yours was going to come.  Congratulations.  We'll be expecting periodic reviews now.

I’ll definitely keep you posted. 

It ended up being a few days later than the initial delivery window estimate, but that’s not too bad. Unfortunately, NC is one of the few states where they cannot deliver the car directly to your home/work, so I had to travel about 90mi to pick it up (I knew this going into it).

Most of the paperwork was done online in advance, so pickup was a relatively quick process. My car had a couple tiny issues, but I can’t say they wouldn’t have occurred with any other manufacturer. Two very small paint defects, most likely from a small rock or some other road debris during transit, and the rear passenger inner door panel was not quite seated properly, sitting a bit higher on one end. They documented these issues and let me schedule a time for them to fix them. They offered to send someone to me to reseat the door panel and inspect the paint, and will provide a loaner car if needed. I haven’t decided whether I’ll even bother. 

The drive home was good. The car is fun to drive and offers a nice ride. The seats are comfortable and the technology is pretty user friendly. I drove pretty aggressively at times and it was reflected in slightly higher than expected battery usage, but it was not significant. I think with my normal driving style I’ll be able to get close to the listed range.

My wife took it out for a drive tonight and likes it as well. We ran it down to ~35mi remaining range. After plugging it into my 240v 32a charger, it said it would take about 5.5hrs to charge to my setting of ~90% max charge. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

Why only 90*?

They recommend 85-90% for daily driving when you don’t truly need the full range. I’ve heard a few reasons for this from different sources-

1. Charging the last bit takes longer and is less energy efficient to charge, since it has to slow down the charging rate. 
2. Regenerative braking does not work when the battery is full, reducing driving efficiency. 
3. Long term life of the battery. The batteries do lose some capacity over the long term, and charging to a lower % on a daily basis is supposed to extend the capacity.