What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

13 hours ago, drzaius said:

How persistent is the toxic stuff that makes poison ivy noxious? Does it last beyond the point after which the plant is dead?

We don't have it around here, so I have no experience. We do have stinging nettle & I can tell you that it is nothing to be messed with. Just a very light graze against it will yield an instant, painful rash that can last for days.

It lasts for years.  When we dug out under some old chimneys, in the process of jacking them back into position, there were some dead roots under it that we didn't think much about.  There had been no evidence of Poison Ivy anywhere around the house.  We all got it on our arms.  I was telling the owner about it, and he said he'd killed some Poison Ivy on the house back in the "70's.  That was in 2008.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Made a bowl blank.... I'll doubt I'll finish it. Not doing this again. Not what i find enjoyable.

1005201933-01.thumb.jpeg.7cc3f0cc6f6c5b350f5b9528951c4b2c.jpeg

Really don't want to clean up this mess either. I gonna suck at least 3 tools up with the DC that are buried.

You barely started to make a mess there. When it gets to the point of having to climb a pile or push it away its scooping time. Dust collector is not the most efficient way of cleaning that. Scoop it with a dust pan first, DC is just for the finishing touches. A working lathe needs a bit of room behind it too so you can clean up. Recommend a drop cloth or doors on the shelves underneath to prevent accumulations on the shelves.

Once you really learn tool handling techniques the bowls get easier and more fun.

8 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

Dust collector is not the most efficient way of cleaning that. Scoop it with a dust pan first, DC is just for the finishing touches.A working lathe needs a bit of room behind it too so you can clean up. Recommend a drop cloth or doors on the shelves underneath to prevent accumulations on the shelves.

Once you really learn tool handling techniques the bowls get easier and more fun.

Yeah but the dust bin is under the dust collector. It's also somewhat satisfying to watch all the chips just disappear. I don't have any space for there to be room all the way around so it's against the wall and everything keeps pretty well contained to the corner.

I'm just using small carbide tools. They aren't the full size ones which would probably be better. The big issue is the small lathe. I felt like I was turning an object that was just too big for it.

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

Out of curriosity, @Chestnut, what were the parts of the project you thought were no fun?

The initial rounding out. I cut as good of circle as i could get but it took me a good hour and a half to get the outside round. The tool constantly caught and the belt slipped even though i tightened it as much as i could. After it was rounded out it went ok and was more fun but i could easily  stall the lathe.

You would likely have a much easier time with a good bowl gouge for that work, slicing the wood rather than scraping it off. I can turn a small blank like that round in ten minutes with a good bowl gouge ground with 40/40 angles. Hollowing is even quicker. Ever watch any Stuart Batty demos? He preaches the 40/40 grind and is wicked fast turning a bowl.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

The initial rounding out. I cut as good of circle as i could get but it took me a good hour and a half to get the outside round. The tool constantly caught and the belt slipped even though i tightened it as much as i could. After it was rounded out it went ok and was more fun but i could easily  stall the lathe.

Here's another tip until your ready to make the jump to High Speed Steel space, and really, even after.  It's much easier to round a blank by cutting into the face than by cutting into the four sides (or the rounded sides).  The long grain runs perpendicular to the bed, so when cutting the sides you are alternately cutting tough end grain followed by smooth side grain, then end grain, etc.  Add to this the irregular corners or rounding out and it's a bumpy ride.  However, if you come at the problem from the face of the blank you cut nothing but long grain.  So much easier.  

Yeah that's probably why i like making handles for things much more than making basins. The basins I've made were cut long grain orientation.

To do the 9" bowl i did yesterday the tree would need to be pretty big to not capture the pith.

Some day i may make the jump to HSS but there are a LOT and i mean a LOT of projects that I'll complete before that happens. A strip canoe 100% from scratch is one of those things. It'd just be cool to fell the tree mill the lumber and then make the canoe. Probably be easier to just hallow the log but that's a different kind of fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Finished up some gifts. These are going to be for the guys in my wedding party. I had a bunch of random wedge cut scraps from my dining chair build. I saved them because I knew they'd turn into nice turning blanks.

On 5 of them I did a celtic knot pattern.

Some of the knots got a little close to the end and look a bit weird but there isn't much to do about that now.

The other 2 i like better. I glued a piece of blue veneer in each gap as a glued the blank up. I figured the little streak of blue would add a nice effect.

I have a feeling this sideboard is going to be a picture backdrop often.

Very nice!!

From my experience the pizza cutters and ice cream scoops are home runs with the guys. I get more complements on those two items then most of the other gifts I've done. FWIW the ladies seem to be into boxes and turnings, and everybody likes a cutting board :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Very nice!!

From my experience the pizza cutters and ice cream scoops are home runs with the guys. I get more complements on those two items then most of the other gifts I've done. FWIW the ladies seem to be into boxes and turnings, and everybody likes a cutting board :)

For the ladies I'll be doing turnings for wine bottle stoppers. I have a fun idea planned that should eliminate some scraps. Megan and I talked about boxes but she said it sounded like a lot of work and was a bit on the fence if it'd be "enough".

• Like 1

Cody and  I shoveled most of the remaining dirt into the crater left by grinding out that tree stump, and to various other low spots around the property. Hit it pretty hard yesterday, trying to eliminate as much of the pile as possible before today's rain set in. 

Now I can't get Tennessee Ernie Ford out of my head. I like this version better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Cody and  I shoveled most of the remaining dirt into the crater left by grinding out that tree stump, and to various other low spots around the property. Hit it pretty hard yesterday, trying to eliminate as much of the pile as possible before today's rain set in. 

Now I can't get Tennessee Ernie Ford out of my head. I like this version better.

Man, that song takes me way back.  And I will pretty much listen to anything involving Billy Gibbons.

Ross, any idea who the young girl playing bass is?  She was on stage with some pretty tall company there and holding her own.