What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

So I'm ignorant here, do you have to stoke the fire every morning to get a hot shower?

Yes, no, and maybe? 

People I’ve talked to in this region with them add wood 1-2x daily and run it as their primary HVAC heat and some use it as primary domestic hot water as well. They fill it up at night to be set for the night and then in the morning to have heat during the day. The night burn leaves plenty of hot water in the morning for showers.

I have an electric water heater as well, so I definitely don’t need to. My unit also has a tank capacity of 750 gallons (pretty large unit)  and will keep the water at or above that temp as long as there is wood. There’s a thermostat controlled blower fan, so when the water cools down it turns the fan on to fuel the embers to a hot fire until the tank reaches temp again, then the fan turns off. 

I don’t think it ever gets cold enough around here to cool that 750 gal tank down enough overnight to cause an issue. 

In really cold areas and with much smaller units, you would need to load it up more often. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

The coyotes around us have been going crazy at night lately. I moved one of my trail cameras back near the creek and spotted one or two of them that night and the next morning. 

Here as well. We live next to a federal preserve and while I have never seen one we hear them quite often this year it seems like there have been more.

9 hours ago, Coop said:

I’ve had for years, one pull down power cord that supplied my ts, router and Festool Domino/sander. Plug, unplug, etc. I know this is simpleton and should have been done years ago but what a difference it makes. 

22CA62A1-7BC8-4D6C-BAC2-209EF8EA01E4.thumb.jpeg.d498a08a0dfee34a85ffa405613d1488.jpeg

I did the same thing a week ago to plug my new lamp and other tools. Great minds think alike :D

• Like 1

I had an electrician come in and drop in a pony box and four quad boxes in the basement when we moved in to this house, Ive since added a couple more and also wired up my darkroom areas with plenty of outlets. I also use a drop cord to my rolling workbench/router table to keep the wires off the floor.

One thing the electrician did was wire each half of the quad boxes to separate breakers, I thought that was pretty handy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

@Coop Great minds think alike. I just expanded my outlets for my drum sander, router table, strip sander, and lathe. I used to have to share 1 outlet for all 3 now they can each have their own. (I still have to run the extension for the lathe though) Also yes i need an outlet plate... didn't have one lying around and haven't made it to the store yet.

DSC_4963-01.thumb.jpeg.ff188b0776b3b16b1b2d9b4d71d14cb7.jpeg

What! I've seen them in my neighborhood, how have you NOT seen a coyote?

I suspect my two huskies may have something to do with it but not positive

On 10/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, Mark J said:

So I'm ignorant here, do you have to stoke the fire every morning to get a hot shower?

To follow up on this, I added wood to the fire box Sunday night, maybe 2/3 full at most, probably closer to half full. Sunday-Tuesday were in the 50s (high and low), today got up into the mid 60s. When I got home from work on Monday the wood was burned up, but the tank was still at 160* (I had it set to max of 170*). I forgot to check it Tuesday evening, but tonight it is still at 115*. 
Not very cold temps, but it has retained the heat better than I initially expected. My wife has been keeping the thermostat at 74* while I’m at work and we’ve run a lot of baths in our big jetted tub (our kids call it the swimming pool bathtub).

52 minutes ago, Coop said:

John, city boy here comes out. When the wood burns out, how do you start a new fire? Kindling or propane? Almost embarrassed to ask. 

Well, however you want, really. The previous owner left a small can of kerosene by it, so I used a bit of that so I wouldn’t use up any small kindling. 

21 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

2 1/2 gallon pump tank sprayer full of gas/diesel mix and a couple of road flares :D that’s the way they started the coal fired boilers at work 

That would certainly work!

• Like 1

When we go camping, I take along a block plane & a chunk of cedar 6x6 to plane shavings off of. Then use those and cotton dryer lint with a flint & steel to start the fire. My 15 YO grand daughter builds most of the campfires & hasn't used more than 1 match to start them for years. This summer she used no matches at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, drzaius said:

When we go camping, I take along a block plane & a chunk of cedar 6x6 to plane shavings off of. Then use those and cotton dryer lint with a flint & steel to start the fire. My 15 YO grand daughter builds most of the campfires & hasn't used more than 1 match to start them for years. This summer she used no matches at all.

If you need a block plane to start a fire you may as well use a lighter :D