What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 11/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, wtnhighlander said:

There were several pics in this link and I looked at each, wondering what I would see:D. All’s good! 

• Haha 1

One thing I did yesterday was dive into figuring out why my Millermatic 251 welder would no longer feed wire.  This has been one of the many jobs on the to-do list that has been put off for a couple of years (maybe longer).

My best friend, since we were 5, and 6 years old, brought over a portable oscilloscope so we could troubleshoot the circuit board.  He's now retired from NASA, where he was head of a department in Space Sciences, was on a team that won the Nobel Prize, known as the Father of Calorimetry (thanks to some ideas from me), and has won all sorts of awards.  When we were teenagers, we built telescopes by hand, but also did stuff like put together Heathkit electronics.  I still have the tools I used back then for soldering parts on circuit boards.

According to my research on the internet last night, this particular welder is known for having "circuit board problems".   We just dove into it with schematics in hand from a download off the internet.

We traced the problem to a blown capacitor in about an hour after figuring out how to read the simplified schematic, and tracing leads on the circuit board.

One big problem we found, that it seems like no one else has ever noticed, is that there is supposed to be a circuit breaker in the hot feed to the wire feed motor.  THERE IS NOT ONE THERE!!!  Any time the wire finds unusual resistance, like a kink in the liner of the gun hose, or the feed rollers being adjusted too tightly, it blows that capacitor because there is no overload protection on the hot feed wire.

Now it's not much trouble to replace that capacitor, and it's not a lot of money-a few bucks.  The repair cost of this board is typically a little over $200, and a new board is $500.  I don't know yet if either "fix" addresses the real problem of the missing circuit breaker.

There is no telling how many thousands of these welders caused people trouble because of this manufacturing Negligence.  This is prime territory for a Class Action Lawsuit, but it seems like no one else has ever noticed the real problem.

Anyway, that's one thing I did yesterday..........

Oh, I probably should have included that at our first meeting, when we were 5 and 6 years old, we fixed his electric train that he had taken the engine apart on to try to fix it.  We're 69, and 70 now.

IMG_2818.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Morris chair? :D

Those interesting bar stools are first aren't they?

Four projects on the list right now 2-pool table spectator chairs, the interesting bar stool, Morris chair, and the sculpted rocker probably in that order but that’s always subject to change :D

Gary, the thicknes varies a little as the external and internal curvature of the rim isn't an exact match. Around 1/4" on average, I'd say. Certainly not thin enough to pass light!

I really need a FTG blade for this. The ATB teeth leave saw marks that require a great deal of sanding to remove, and the inside curves aren't easy with just a 5" ROS to work with.

Every year about the beginning of October, we watch Band of Brothers. It's too hard to binge watch, so it gets spread out over some weeks. I've seen it almost every year since it came out & it still has a profound effect on me. I'm getting a lump in my throat as I write this.

The episodes retelling the experience of the Battle of the Bulge are some of the most powerful.

• Like 1

Knocked out another quick project, headphone holder btw FWIW I really like these new ISOtunes. I thought I would only use them for yardwork which I have but find myself using them while milling as well.

1500906996_11-12-2020Headphoneholder.jpg.190c42fdd74cc92777e61a1c463c868f.jpg

Also got my new DP table glued up, added maple edge banding, and I will add melamine to the top

214090398_11-12-2020DPTable.jpg.f6d16e306d7d9baabdcb623837d71da3.jpg

I do have a question for you guys. Right now I only have tracks that run front to back but I have seen a few DP tables with a track from left to right as well, anybody have this? Do you use it?

Rockler Drill Press Fence - opens a modal dialog

1 minute ago, Coop said:

I only have the track like yours and can’t feature a need for left to right. Not like you will ever use a miter bar like on a router table. Yours looks great! 

I'm guessing its for using hold downs which I rarely if ever do but thought I would throw it out there just to see what you all thought.

• Like 1