What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

32 minutes ago, Coop said:

Oh damn! Right up my alley! Do you have a more precise recipe, including size of the pan? How do you freeze them, in zip lock bags? And thaw and heat in the microwave? 

It's a big pan, just about filling the rack in the oven. No precise recipe, just that all the veggies (except garlic) & bacon are about equal portions. There are 3 dozen eggs with the chipotle, Frank's, salt & pepper mixed in. Cheddar gets grated on top. No formal recipe, it's different each time. I just mix up the eggs, add seasoning, and then cook a sample to taste, then adjust seasoning.

After wrapping in tortillas, I put them on trays & freeze them before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. I do that to keep frost from collecting on the surface under the plastic, which can make the tortilla soggy. They can be heated in the microwave from frozen, but the result is better if I take them out of the freezer & put in the fridge the night before.

I just had one & this is the best batch I've made to date. Wish I could share :)

Forgot to add that I use a propane torch to lightly toast one side of the tortillas. Gives is a nice added flavor.

• Like 2

@drzaius when the weather is more conducive to grilling I like to make grilled tomatillo salsa and freeze what isn't used for dinner. It's really simple...grill/char a bunch of tomatillos, a head of garlic, a couple serrano peppers (you can add spicier peppers too if you like), and a white or sweet onion. Roughly chop all that up in the food processor with 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of lime juice and a pinch of kosher salt. Add chopped cilantro and scallions to taste. It tastes best if I make it in the morning and serve it at dinnertime. 

All this to say that it handles being frozen particularly well, and I bet would work in your burritos! My wife has made noises about "meal planning" lately and perhaps I can try this myself and report back.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, VizslaDad said:

@drzaius when the weather is more conducive to grilling I like to make grilled tomatillo salsa and freeze what isn't used for dinner. It's really simple...grill/char a bunch of tomatillos, a head of garlic, a couple serrano peppers (you can add spicier peppers too if you like), and a white or sweet onion. Roughly chop all that up in the food processor with 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of lime juice and a pinch of kosher salt. Add chopped cilantro and scallions to taste. It tastes best if I make it in the morning and serve it at dinnertime. 

All this to say that it handles being frozen particularly well, and I bet would work in your burritos! My wife has made noises about "meal planning" lately and perhaps I can try this myself and report back.

That salsa sound delicious. Unfortunately, where I live it's very difficult to grow peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos & the like. A little char sure does add to the flavors. We can buy them in the store, but they have all been pick very unripe & the flavor just isn't there. Every time @Coopreports on his tomato crops I get so jealous.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, VizslaDad said:

My wife has made noises about "meal planning" lately and perhaps I can try this myself and report back.

We just started trying out the eMeals app. Let's you pick out recipes in it and then easily lets you place an order for delivery or pickup. Won't necessarily help you cook a week's worth of meals at once but it could save you some time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, B1rdhunter said:

Chestnut, do you make your own Lefsa?  My wife has mentioned several times that we need to get some made lately but there never seems to be enough time.

Mine is home made but I didn't make it. My mom and Grandma make it every year around thanksgiving. They make a large batch vacuum seal and freeze it. This year they didn't make any because of the pandemic so I was just finishing off what i had from last year. It's important to separate pieces with parchment paper as it tends to stick together when frozen.

• Like 1