What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

4 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Very nice Drew, I’m sure you’ll put it to good use, keeping both?

Yeah I've always wanted to get a dedicated saw for resawing and ripping and have a curve saw. I had some issues breaking blades on the left saw in the picture. That left me considering a 16" or 18" saw. I was always hesitant getting a big saw like that with my basement shop. Moving equipment in and out is a pain. I tried a new way to turn my saw and over the last year I've used my band saw more then ever and haven't had a blade break so I figured the problem is solved.

I was going to get a smaller saw but when i was considering $500-$600 for something i might not be happy with i figured the extra little bit was worth it for a saw i knew I'd like.

• Like 2

Looks great Chestnut.

I had 4 days off of work and planned on a bunch of woodworking. I think all total I sanded the shaker end table for an hour. Had to do a bunch of errands and after getting our cars inspected earlier this week my wife's car needed new front brakes. Thankfully it warmed up to 60 here so I didn't freeze and got to spend a bunch of time with the kids outside.

4 days left of work this week and then I'm free for 2 weeks!

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 10:47 AM, gee-dub said:

I just set him up with a sacrificial fence with a key set into it.  The sac-fence can be nudged left or right to give tighter and looser fingers.  I have to confess that although I have an i-Box I use this method more often (???).

He is just getting into it so it's fun for me to pretend to be knowledgeable.  He is skilled at many other trades; a real handy guy.  I'm just helping him transition from hammer swingin' wood butcher to jewelry box for the wife mode.

I have an i-Box too (damned youtube demos got me!) and it has a lot of limitations. It is great for banging out a lot of small boxes or drawers but has real limitations when it comes to working with thicker stock or larger workpieces. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Like that Q&D table design, Drew - very effective.  I also like the way the offset stripe in the pizza cutter handles looks like a swirl at some angles.

I liked the multiple lines that ran done them. The wood was mostly scraps from the conoid table. It's just been a scrappy day.

I swore to make some more reindeer this year and I either didn’t have time or didn’t git around to it and neither are justifiable excuses.

The 10:00 weather lady last night predicted a low of 32* so to be on the safe side, I put on my head lamp and picked about 25 lbs of tomatoes. Glad I did as there was ice on the bird baths this morning. 

• Like 1