What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

11 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Mine was pretty bad becuase apparently 15 years ago I had no idea how to install trim lol

I've installed a fair bit of trim and I'm bad at it.... I don't think I have the patients to go back and forth a million times and lay on the floor for hours getting the gaps perfect.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Coop, I'm going out on a limb, and guessing that is return air for a DC that lives in the other room. I see duct in the photos, but no collector.

Correct. Had I to do over again I would have run it out the back of the shop into a cabinet but at the time I was worried about having it outside the conditioned (heat /air) space.

Return air? Obviously I’m no where near an HVAC guy. I have a mobile, stand alone HF system and it has no return air. But I do understand that air going out has to have air coming in which from mine, comes from the tools it’s connected to? 

• Like 1

@Coop, my recent switch to external venting of the DC is a perfect illustration of just how much 'return air' is needed. If I don't open a window for external air to enter, the 1.5 hp DC will pull the shop door open as it pulls air out of the room. Paul's DC must return the filtered air to the room from which it was removed to avoid a similar situation.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Coop said:

So, if I didn’t have a filter and a bag and discharged directly outside like @RichardAdoes, then I get better suction/vacuum, ie., better dust collection? 

Can't speak for Rick, but collection at my tablesaw seems improved. Biggest gain is that ALL the collected fines go outside, where bag filters return a lot into the room. Downside is that outside air is needed to replace what the DC sucks out, which negates most of whatever climate controls your shop might have. Working in the draft of an open window when temps are below freezing kinda sucks.

• Like 1