What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

So @pkinneb, is this the air return from your DC?  It looks like it restricts you from fully opening that door?

You can open it about 95% of the way. The closet stores the furnace, electrical panel, dust collector and stereo so no issues with access over the years. Like I stated earlier its one thing i would likely do different but not worth changing now. To do that would require a major revamp as most of my duct work is in the un accessible attic of the shop...I know you are not suppose to do that but you gotta admit it is a clean look :D

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

You can open it about 95% of the way. The closet stores the furnace, electrical panel, dust collector and stereo so no issues with access over the years. Like I stated earlier its one thing i would likely do different but not worth changing now. To do that would require a major revamp as most of my duct work is in the un accessible attic of the shop...I know you are not suppose to do that but you gotta admit it is a clean look :D

Ok I lied maybe 75% of the way but none the less its never been an issue.

18.jpg.ea5a155d737afb62dc719608215ab20f.jpg

One wall complete just need to do the other side which consists of a double door into the spray area and a single door into the lawn mower / wood storage area. Hopefully I can finish that tomorrow and move on to something else.

15.jpg.6388df54196b94997c1c459d59be3764.jpg

16.jpg.4ebb876991c18788df08a980b97a5b00.jpg

17.jpg.3024c9c8f89323202dd954ca0935b8c8.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Finished sanding a couple more maple end-grain plates. First coat of finish soaking in:

20210103_184432.thumb.jpg.81128d2484f7320a3ba331753bb3258c.jpg

I cheated on these. No tablesaw turning. Instead, I screwed the bearing block from my 'spin-a-ma-jig' onto a board that I could clamp in my bench vise and spin with a drill. Poor man's lathe for faceplate turning. But I used an angle grinder to shape the plates. Talk about a mess....

That maple end grain just gets prettier, the finer you sand it.

wtnhighlander if you ever have time you should do a journal on turning a plate. I would love to learn how to do it :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

You know, Ross, someday you gotta get a lathe. :)

I actually posses an old Craftsman tube-bed lathe that someone gave me to get it out of their basement, but the motor is dead. Last I checked, the drive head seemed a little stiff, too, so I don't know if a new motor is worth the effort. No room for a full lathe in my shed, anyway.  I have thought about taking just the drive head and fixing it up for face plate stuff.

As for a journal, maybe if I ever get to a stable process. So far, these are just experiments. But I do have a few more "tree cookies" to work with, so another plate, tray, or dish is bound to appear at some point.  But for normal people with lathes, standard lathe tools are probably the best bet.

2 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Put that back on the helicopter where you found it they may need it ! Wow I bet that thing will move a LOT of air 

This particular fan is an older one that was relocated from another warehouse. It's not a Big Ass Fan, and is quite slow (about 20 RPM) but still moves a lot of air. 50' away there's enough breeze to move your hair a bit. The equivalent Big Ass Fan really moves the air when on high speed, which is 65 RPM. They are mostly run at around 5 - 20 RPM

9 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Some place I attended a banquet had those fans. I am not sure what happened in that place when it was not hosting that banquet. 

Those big guys are mostly in warehouse type buildings. They have several models that range from the 24' industrial looking to really nice ones as small as 42" suitable for a high end commercial or residential setting.