What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

3 hours ago, Coop said:

Very Nice! What did you use to carve out the spoon hollow?

A hook knife. Not sure if it’s the best type for it, but it’s what I ended up with. I really need to sharpen it, but not sure how well that will turn out.

Morakniv Wood Carving Hook Knife 162 with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 0.6-Inch Internal Radius https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2VM3XZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BSAZC7SRHFV8M1E78PDS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

How do you sharpen that? It looks tricky to keep sharp.

I really like the spoons I also want to make some now.

I’ve never tried sharpening it for that reason, which is probably why that part of making the spoons is frustrating to me. Also probably because I’m using kiln dried wood instead of green. 

29 minutes ago, Mark J said:

You're just going to have to quit that pesky day job.  :rolleyes:

Maybe, Just convince Megan to shoot to become CEO of some big company and then I can transition to a stay at home dad or something... :D.  So yeah that's not going to happen ... anytime soon at least and probably never.

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

I’ve never tried sharpening it for that reason, which is probably why that part of making the spoons is frustrating to me. Also probably because I’m using kiln dried wood instead of green. 

I just googled how to sharpen stuff like that and it looks tricky but possible. It looks like they sharpen the outside and then use a dowel or something flexible to remove the burr from the inside.

I'll be doing something similar to our interior doors to make them look like 3 panel doors. Just realized that my shop is a few inches too short to cut all the plywood strips without opening a closet door. Hoping I can find a contractor table saw to borrow so I can do it outside.

What gauge nails are you using? I was thinking of getting a pin nailer to use instead of my 18 gauge nail gun.

23 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I'll be doing something similar to our interior doors to make them look like 3 panel doors. Just realized that my shop is a few inches too short to cut all the plywood strips without opening a closet door. Hoping I can find a contractor table saw to borrow so I can do it outside.

What gauge nails are you using? I was thinking of getting a pin nailer to use instead of my 18 gauge nail gun.

I cut my sheet into 4 foot lengths as that made processing everything easier and multiple parts fit nicely within a 4 foot length. If you are painting you could get away with not doing full length parts.

I used 18 ga nails that were 5/8" long. I also used PU glue as a little extra holding power. There was paint underneath and I didn't feel like striping back to wood so i didn't use regular wood glue.

That's always an option. I was hoping to avoid more seams to fill since but 80" long strips in a 160" long shop will be challenging to work with. 

Good call on the PU glue, I hadn't thought that far ahead. Thanks for saving me time there. Possibly avoiding filling 1,000 nail holes has leaning towards the 23 gauge nailer with the 18 as the backup.

I guess from past experience I slather on wood filler with a putty knife and then sand back. Kitchen cabinets are a lot less daunting than doors though so your points are valid. I also went overboard with nails because some of the doors had a slight warp. If yours are more flat you could get away with less nails. Maybe have a sheet of ply that's the right size and weight everything down.

If you are running that much material a temporary shop rearrangement might be in order. Even if your shop is 40" wide the diagonal from corner to corner should be enough to give a bit extra work room. I have a fairly large shop and still do this from time to time just to make some tasks easier. It's also why despite having a very set location for tools i continue to put them on mobile bases.

I'm sure either way I'll end up filling holes whether it's between seems or on edges. I think if I rip the plywood in half I can go diagonally through the shop. If not I can open a door to the storage closet off the shop to get an extra 4' of room. Can always hang up some plastic to help minimize the dust.

It's so much easier to have everything on mobile bases even if you can keep things fairly stationary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Took an awesome delivery today!

F5795545-0CA4-49BD-8512-00B2F49EC9B8.thumb.jpeg.5c73ff8e02fa87276ac21228438641d9.jpeg

I’ve only played on it for about half an hour but am really pleased with it. 

Nice!! You will love it I'm sure. I use my JD all the time winter and summer and most importantly when I need to get a new tool off a semi trailer :D