What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Paul, are the nylon anchors substantial? I found these at HD and will never use nylon tap ins or typical toggle bolts again. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=fliptoggle&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=imgv&imgv=1

No. I would use something like you have shown above I would also make sure one screw goes into the stud. In my case since I knew I was going this route I had appropriate blocking in the wall and was able to screw both directly into the blocking/ studs.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

No. I would use something like you have shown above I would also make sure one screw goes into the stud. In my case since I knew I was going this route I had appropriate blocking in the wall and was able to screw both directly into the blocking/ studs.

That's cheating..... Is 1 screw in that style enough? My gripe with them is you can only ever hit the stud with 1 screw.

@Coop I've used those flip toggler style anchors and they do work very well. There still is a limit to how much weight you can hold with drywall. I have a coat rack end up with 2 of those and 1 screw in the stud. after 100 lbs in coats and a few years it started to separate from the wall. My guess is it's slowly crushing the drywall.

Into the stud that's an interesting idea. I wonder if you couldn't accomplish the same with with a steel rod though and save some money.... or a riven hardwood dowel.

Or angle iron and just cut a slot in the back of the shelf.... i have a good idea now... i might try something like this...

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

That's cheating..... Is 1 screw in that style enough? My gripe with them is you can only ever hit the stud with 1 screw.

@Coop I've used those flip toggler style anchors and they do work very well. There still is a limit to how much weight you can hold with drywall. I have a coat rack end up with 2 of those and 1 screw in the stud. after 100 lbs in coats and a few years it started to separate from the wall. My guess is it's slowly crushing the drywall.

I would put one in the stud and the other into a toggle style like @Coop mentioned. 

• Like 1

I like that picture, Dave! Reminds me of a story from my great-grandfather. As a youngster, around the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries, his family moved from here to Texas for a couple of years. Moving back, they drove their wagon across the Mississippi on the ice, near the recently-constructed Hanrahan rail bridge.

That's at Memphis. I don't think the river has frozen solid that far south since then, but reports from that year say that ice floes were washing out into Mobile bay.

Brrrrrr...

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

@pkinneb how was your chip carving class?

Thanks for asking John!

I actually ended up having three classes in 4 days. Chip Carving 2 hrs last Thursday Evening, Bandsaw Class with Michael Fortune 6 hrs on Sat both through the Austin School of Furniture, and Compound Veneering: Waterfall Edge through Scott Grove 3 hrs Sunday. All were great and I learned a bunch. If you guys are into learning I find these zoom classes to be great bang for the buck. On a sad note my father passed away yesterday so I have been tied up with that and unable to practice too much but here is my current board. Might just be me but I think row two is better then one, still got a ways to go for prime time though. FWIW both roes were started on the number end.

CC.jpg.91c7a1eb1e77332ccd3aaeffedd2f553.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your father, @pkinneb. My prayers are with you and your family.

On a happier note, the carvings look great! I haven't attempted chip carving in a while, but as I recall, a super-sharp knife was key for getting a clean cut, then practice until you muscles produce the same cut with consistency. Choosing a wood species that doesn't splinter easily, helps as well.

• Thanks 1

I'm so sorry to hear about your father.

As the others have mentioned, your carvings look great. I'll check out the offerings of zoom classes. Those would be much easier for me to swing than in person (primarily time wise, but maybe cost as well).

I did pick up some wood carving goodies yesterday including a couple chip carving knives.

6C1C2290-4494-4EB9-9AA7-0549FEEF555F.thumb.jpeg.65dd0e183e2e2905f58dd8aa98ba1a7a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2,800 sq ft house.

What did they say/do that was so unhelpful?

I'd be careful completing work without permits in some jurisdictions. Often the fine is WAY worse than the permit. Around here fines are 200% permit fee plus paying the municipalities lawyer and engineering fees is not unheard of.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

2,800 sq ft house.

What did they say/do that was so unhelpful?

I'd be careful completing work without permits in some jurisdictions. Often the fine is WAY worse than the permit. Around here fines are 200% permit fee plus paying the municipalities lawyer and engineering fees is not unheard of.

Their office is not open for walk-in questions, and their website didn’t answer some questions I had. They wouldn’t answer or return phone calls so I emailed them. They answered verbatim with the vague information on their website. When I responded and explained why that did not answer my question and rephrased my question for clarity, they again gave the exact same response. I tried again three more times and got the same answer every time, even from a couple different people. At that point I decided that if they weren’t interested in helping me I wasn’t interested in helping them. Additionally, their records already show our basement as finished instead of unfinished, so we would really just be skipping out on some plumbing and electrical work. 

Maybe I’ll give them another chance when we get closer to starting the project. 

• Like 1

@JohnG,I feel your pain and frustration. With our remodel and add on, we finally received our permit after numerous calls and finally after two calls to my councilman. Then, after calling for the underground plumbing inspection, the city sent out an electrical inspector, his admission, took a quick look and gave us a green tag. 

No disrespect @Chestnut meant by any means to the department and you guys as a whole. I’m sure the Covid thing played a large part. It was just that we could never receive at least a phone call return after leaving so many messages. Just shoot straight and let me know the situation via a courtesy call. 

• Like 1