What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

7 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Hock Tools, to soon to tell need to sharpen the blade but had to run to CO to see a family friend who unfortunately has taken a turn for the worse. Will be back next week and I will let you know what I think.

Stay safe. It sounds like you and your family have been having a rough time this spring.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

Gary, I just watched a you tube video of this camper that the dealer sold for $9.5 k. That’s a neat looking camper. Keep us updated on your progress. 

Yeah, its an off road toy hauling camper. We dont do much with it any more so Im sprucing it up to sell it. I already had to rebuilt the galley five or six yeas ago. It simply fell apart while packing it down at the campsite. Put together with luan, staples and a dab of construction adhesive. It got rebuilt with plywood, box joints and wood glue. Cant tell it was redone at first glance.

• Like 1

This couldn’t have come at a better time. It seems that picture frame shelves are the going thing according to my wife and her life on Pinterest. I made her a couple using the typical j hook that are used to hang pics but it sticks out fro the wall and looks like crap. @Chestnut, on your first trial, did the wood give above the kerf due to lack of mass above it. I.e., if the kerf were lower down, wouldn’t it be stronger? Either way, I shall be borrowing your idea as well. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

This couldn’t have come at a better time. It seems that picture frame shelves are the going thing according to my wife and her life on Pinterest. I made her a couple using the typical j hook that are used to hang pics but it sticks out fro the wall and looks like crap. @Chestnut, on your first trial, did the wood give above the kerf due to lack of mass above it. I.e., if the kerf were lower down, wouldn’t it be stronger? Either way, I shall be borrowing your idea as well. Thanks. 

I left 1/4" of material above the angle bracket. I thought that it would be kind of weak which is part of the reason for the screws. The screws hold the thinner wood down. That said with out the screws the shelf was still quite strong the secret is to plunge the kerf cut and not have it extend out the sides.

There is going to be a direct trade off between how much material is left above the kerf and how much the shelf sags. More material above the kerf will cause the shelf to sag more. It might be stronger but I don't need it to hold 5 gallons of water. or a row of books. Though it might be able to hold the books if they are the small paper back ones.

34 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice idea on that shelf, I'll probably steal that. Wall displays look great, and that folded-page book is really cool! I had to squint to make out the letters, but once I did, they are obvious, and beautifully done.

Steal away! The book still blows my mind i have no idea how it was created.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RichardA said:

I do to, but I think I would have come up from the bottom, rather than leave them visible.

Depending on the height and what you put on them, screws from the top may be less visible. Especially in a room that is typically used for sitting. 

I don't know that screws that screws from the bottom would work. You would have to have the perfect length screw to stop short of going through the top 1/4". If they might be visible you could use a brass pin or a dowel that wouldn't look so out of place.

It also might not work as well if the angle is upside down. The whole design is to offset the rotating force that is exerted which means you want the screws into the wall as close to the top as possible. Cantilever designs are tricky but fascinating.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark J said:

@Chestnut, did the screws you used go through the aluminum angle or just engage the top surface?

The screws are 3/4" so they go through the angle and roughly 3/8" beyond. I drilled a hole small enough in the angle so the screw would "cut threads". I did this just so if there was any force put on the pin that there isn't any slop.

• Like 2

John, The Bees will thank you!

I looked at the company stuff that you bought that rack from.  I was looking for a new adjustable bench. Titan was the brand I ended up going with.  The adjustable bench is a copy of a Legend one, for less than a quarter of the price.  I am very pleased with the quality of the bench. 

Titan also has a combination, plate loaded pulldown/low pull machine that looks really good for the price.  I don't need one, but looked through their lineup.  Last week, I replaced the pulleys, and cables on my old one.  That lat machine is out of stock, but looks like they'll have it ready to ship in May.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/upper-body/plate-loadable-lat-tower-v2/400895.html

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Wow John, that's gonna be a lot of honey.  Hope the toaster is in good working order :).  

Actually it is not! We have a 4 slice toaster, and occasionally the right set will not stop on it’s own. So it will need to be replaced. Usually you don’t harvest honey in the first year, but if they start strong and fast you might be able to take a little bit. They need to produce extra honey to build up stores for the winter. 

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

John, The Bees will thank you!

I looked at the company stuff that you bought that rack from.  I was looking for a new adjustable bench. Titan was the brand I ended up going with.  The adjustable bench is a copy of a Legend one, for less than a quarter of the price.  I am very pleased with the quality of the bench. 

Titan also has a combination, plate loaded pulldown/low pull machine that looks really good for the price.  I don't need one, but looked through their lineup.  Last week, I replaced the pulleys, and cables on my old one.  That lat machine is out of stock, but looks like they'll have it ready to ship in May.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/upper-body/plate-loadable-lat-tower-v2/400895.html

I went with this brand simply because I have a relative affiliated with the company so I was able to get my setup for significantly less than any other option. I have been pleased with the quality of it though. 

Happy BD Ross! Yeah, moving dirt is no happy chore whether you’re 25 or 35! Congrats on your brides recognition for the need for new toys! You’ll probably pay heavily as I do. :D Cody’s probably wondering where the table is for the bs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Coop said:

... wondering where the table is for the bs? 

Well, as you can see, we assembled most of it on the deck so there was space to move it around. Table added after we dragged it into the shop. It is pretty tight inside at the moment, I realy need to purge a bunch of scraps and stuff that I rarely use.

Yeah moving dirt isn't any fun, but it beats a gym membership IMO.

Congrats on the the new tools they look like they will treat you well. I still have yet to buy a batter powered router. They do interest me but my only battery system is the old 18V dewalt and they stopped making tools for that system long ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I'm smoking a chuck roast to make some shreaded beef sandwiches

I love smoked chuck we use it for all sorts of things Sandwiches, burritos, tacos, even stir it in with fried rice.  I usually do about 30-40 pounds at a time on the smoker.

I am going to be interested in how this turns out, it could be a real cool deal for woodworkers.

• Like 2