What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

31 minutes ago, Chet said:

I love smoked chuck we use it for all sorts of things Sandwiches, burritos, tacos, even stir it in with fried rice.  I usually do about 30-40 pounds at a time on the smoker.

I am going to be interested in how this turns out, it could be a real cool deal for woodworkers.

I'm struggling with the hot plate. The thermostat on the plate is stopping it from running enough to keep the temp where it needs to be. It's mostly sitting at 170-180 but the smoke output is awesome. I'm going to look into the thermocouple location and see if i can't use a tube to direct cold air at it to keep the hot plate running more steadily.

I really like the idea and method it works great. I looked at some electric smoker and the wood chip box are tiny it seems like you'd be adding wood to those things constantly.

Maybe it needs some mass to the setup to keep the wood hot. A slab of cast iron between the sawdust pan and the element will hold the heat even while the element cycles on and off. 

Just checked your picture, that cast iron pan should be doing okay. Maybe some of those iron briquets like goes in the grill can be put in with the sawdust.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:24 PM, Coop said:

Gary, I just watched a you tube video of this camper that the dealer sold for $9.5 k. That’s a neat looking camper. Keep us updated on your progress. 

I found a neighbor to sell it to for 2k, I didnt want to put any more sweat into it. The inside of the roof needs stripped and redone. Ive got better things to do with my time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

Maybe it needs some mass to the setup to keep the wood hot. A slab of cast iron between the sawdust pan and the element will hold the heat even while the element cycles on and off. 

Just checked your picture, that cast iron pan should be doing okay. Maybe some of those iron briquets like goes in the grill can be put in with the sawdust.

So what i learned was it needed to get the sawdust smoldering. The temp would hang kinda like how the stall temperature occurs during smoking. Then after the wood started to smolder it'd jump from 160 to 205-210. When i needed more sawdust I just added it to the smoldering pan opposed to dumping out the embers and putting fresh in, which restarted the whole temperature hang.

12 hours ago, Coop said:

Once you get the kinks ironed out of this prototype, the real deal will be made of some nice wood with fancy joints and Brusso hinges, right? 

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not. Honestly if cardboard wored why couldn't wood. If a person makes something they might as well make it right with top quality materials and hinges. Dang it now I'm considering this.

• Thanks 1

@Chestnut, what you described sounds exactly like the old-fashioned smokehouses that folks of my grandparents generation were still operating when I was a teen. A charcoal or wood fire, contained in the center of the floor, would be burned down to hot embers, then an occassional shovel full of sawdust tossed on to keep the smoke rolling. 

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Is the smoker electric?

59 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I believe most of the pellet smokers operate on electricity to get the pellets started at least.

Correct it is electric. I always had issues with the propane vertical I had keeping temps, ultimately I used a paper clip as a spring to prop the door open slightly to maintain the 220 temp I was after. I heard pellet smokers were better at this plus the fact that I can check it on an app sold me. I'll let you know if it was worth the money the propane smoker with the tank was about $240 ish this one was $360 ish. I already like the wheels I had to carry the other one and not having to mess with propane is nice, time will tell overall though.

54 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

This morning, I spent some quiet time in contemplation, out on the river.

20210418_105016.thumb.jpg.6e36b003e9a45da90cda76685ae709ee.jpg

Beautiful!!

• Like 1

Last night we sent the kids to their grandparents house and I worked away on the final two doors that I can work on until we redo our first floor flooring.

Can't wait to get back to actual woodworking. I might try to make some of those spurtles that Treeslayer made just to get back into the swing of things.

• Like 2