What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I’ve changed tires and patched tires and tubes on just about everything since I was a kid. From bicycle to tractors and today little 10” dolly tires stumped me. I had to go to you tube to figure out that you have to destroy the little one time keeper washer to get it off. And then getting the tubes out of those little motha tires is almost impossible. Thanks to Amazon, two new sets will be here tomorrow and the keeper washers will be replaced with cotter pins! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Never thought much about YouTube @Coop until I had to change a headlight bulb in the daughters car, it would still be burnt out if I didn’t look it up, the people that designed some of this stuff never had to repair it 

I feel the same way about paint.  I just painted a couple rooms in my house with paint/primer. It was supposed to be a one time cover all the problems paint.  I assure you, the chemists that make paint, have never painted anything but their toenails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, treeslayer said:

the people that designed some of this stuff never had to repair it 

I have a niece that studied to be an architect in college.  She was required to do a semester internship on several job sites so that she could see for herself what the workers go through with the ideas that the architects and engineers come up with.  She said it really put things in perspective.

Maybe automotive engineers need to get greasy and bust a few knuckles during their education.

• Like 2

Knowing a lot of engineers, mechanical and otherwise, most if not all of these situations exist because the overall project manager isn't willing to increase the product cost enough to solve the solution. It's not really fair to pin this on the engineer when they ultimately don't get the say in a lot of these decisions.

I personally have had to make design exceptions multiple times because the owner isn't willing to pay for the proper design. This usually results in a waiver of liability or in extreme cases a mutual agreement to work with other people.

It's getting better in some ways but worse in others. Not many people fix their own cars so requiring specialized tools is getting more common place because dealerships and large shops have access to them. At the same time there is an effort from some manufactures to make components fixable as that increases value and longevity of the product with is becoming much more favorable.

The catch, no one is willing to pay more for their vehicles. The perfect vehicle your dreaming of is very easy to make but would likely cost $100,000.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The catch, no one is willing to pay more for their vehicles. The perfect vehicle your dreaming of is very easy to make but would likely cost $100,000.

I have respectfully disagree on two counts. The parking lot at work is full of redneck pickups that easily approach the $100k mark. But my 'dream vehicle' could like come in under $10k, if only the EPA would allow it...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I have respectfully disagree on two counts. The parking lot at work is full of redneck pickups that easily approach the $100k mark. But my 'dream vehicle' could like come in under $10k, if only the EPA would allow it...

What i Intended to mean was a standard run of the mill seadn or basic suv would cost $100,000. Still my point wasn't that, it's that the engineers don't get to make those decisions because someone above them makes the decision based off cost. Increasing the cost to make something easier to fix isn't a high priority because most people don't' fix their own cars.

If your dream vehicle is only $10k why don't you have someone make it. Base it off an old chassis and use it's VIN number and the EPA can't say a dang thing about it.

6 hours ago, Tom King said:

FIrst time I've used the clamp-on forks

Mine aren't clamp-on, but I've used the forks on my tractor a lot more than I've used the bucket. As we've been setting up our garden areas, I've been turning plastic 55 gallon drums in to remote watering barrels and the forks have gotten a lot of use toting those around, some strapped to pallets and some singles cradled between the forks.

• Like 1