What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

14 hours ago, JohnG said:

Additionally, their records already show our basement as finished instead of unfinished, so we would really just be skipping out on some plumbing and electrical work. 

I'd just correct the mistake and bring  your basement up to their records standards.... it was already permitted.

I thought you were talking about constructing an outbuilding or something like that without a permit.

@Coop @JohnG A lot of this is so variable by region that it's really hard to say what happens. Around here the permit departments have seen 50-100% increase in permits, to make matters worse most are having to work from home and juggle watching kids while working. Size also matters smaller communities typically only have part time staff. One of the towns i work for only has office hours from 8:30-12:00 1 day a week and permits aren't their main job responsibility. While they are wrong for treating people poorly getting 100 inquiries about information that is available on their website or in their ordinances gets very fatiguing. I'm not saying that you are doing this but there are a TON of people that are in your area and it eliminates all the time the staff have to help legitimate questions, hence automated generic responses.

It'd be like buying a set of woodworking plans and then calling the creator of the plans to ask what dimensions of lumber you need and what size the parts are, how large should the mortise ant tenon joint's be.

Or the really fun questions "Do i really NEED to follow XYZ ordinance or rule? That's so difficult and is goign to cost money." " I don't want to do that is this ordinance really necessary?" I want to hang up on those people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Or the really fun questions "Do i really NEED to follow XYZ ordinance or rule? That's so difficult and is goign to cost money." " I don't want to do that is this ordinance really necessary?" I want to hang up on those people.

Yeah I'd be on unemployment within a week LOL

• Like 1

Yesterday I had to deal with a major computer manufacturer at work. We put a large order through them and they discontinued an item between our quote and when our check made it to them. They neither mentioned that this item was going to be discontinued, did not provide us an alternate, and kept our money for 6 months with out ever notifying us of the excess payment. After our 3rd inquiry into the status they finally told us and then proceeded to pressure us into just buying something else. My boss was beside himself. This was their business sales division as well. I'm surprised there is this much lack of attention from their most profitable division.

• Sad 1

Just spent my lunch break figuring out how to install a bifold closet door. Still have to paint the backs of 3 of them but will hopefully be installing everything this weekend if the kids cooperate. Will be nice to get things semi-back in order in our basement/shop.

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to do the interior doors with the least amount of taking the door down. No doors installed and kids could lead to chaos but my only time to paint the doors is at night unless I take some days off.

• Like 1