What did you do today?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My DIL has a sister (lives on the other side of the country) who is an extremely unfit parent, so they have taken on legal guardianship of he 7 YO son. So now I am his defacto grandfather. His other g

Just spent a very enjoyable few hours with @Ronn W when he stopped by on his way to Marc Adams woodworking school in Indiana. A great bowl of chili and some homemade sourdough bread with cupcakes for

Only because I didn't want to disappoint you, Ken, I used mesquite for trim on the doors and stiles. And to top it off, I used Lone Star pulls.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

I recently had to install a hook into one of my ceiling joists using a 3' step ladder I often use as a stool at my bench. I made it safely to the second step before the waves of dizziness kicked in, but I persevered by steadying myself against the joist. It was a stretch, but I knew not to stand on top of the ladder.

I'm happy to report I made it down safely and there was beer in the fridge.

Just make sure that beer isn't until after the "lift" work :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Just make sure that beer isn't until after the "lift" work

Are you sure?  I was thinking just the opposite.  Wouldn't being light headed from alcohol offset the vertigo from the height? :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, drzaius said:

A couple of years ago I did some fan maintenance in a plant that builds the Twin Otter. The guy there said that if a tool is dropped & dents the aircraft, they have to remove the entire damaged panel & replace it, which can be a very lengthy process. No Bondo.

The FBO that I worked for, right after I graduated from college, had a Twin Otter they maintained.  That thing takes off like an elevator.

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

The FBO that I worked for, right after I graduated from college, had a Twin Otter they maintained.  That thing takes off like an elevator.

They are amazing aircraft. Designed way back in the stone age but are still very popular. Of course, the new ones have modern turboprops all the latest avionics, etc. When De Havilland went under, Viking Air bought the license to make the plane from De Havilland Canada.

5 hours ago, curlyoak said:

It might be time to start a thread  gee-dub's new shop. Are there any vacuum tubes in the slab?

No vacuum tubes. At this stage it is like watching paint dry and I didn't want to start a thread that got stale. :)

10 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

No vacuum tubes. At this stage it is like watching paint dry and I didn't want to start a thread that got stale. :)

I understand your reasoning, but we won't let you forget to start a thread once things get moving :) 

Middle of converting 8 bi-fold doors and 12 interior doors from flat panel to 3 panel and my nailer is now leaking. Not sure if it's worth trying to fix or if I shouldn't just get a new one. Unless I go buy a new one I'm dead in the water until Monday when I can borrow my dad's.

• Like 1

I took another look and there was a piece slightly bent. Hammered it flatter and it seems the leak has mostly stopped or at least drastically slowed down. Hopefully it will work, at least until Monday when I can grab my dad's as a backup.

Not sure if I want to spend $15 on parts for a gun that was part of the $199 3 gun/compressor kit or just replace it.

If anything I wish the noisy compressor would break instead.

2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

http://www.californiaairtools.com i've heard good things about these, i could use a larger compressor and definitely a quieter one but the one i have just won't die

I love my little one, way quieter then the old PC pancake compressor I had. It wouldn't die so it found a new home :) 

Having said that last weekend as I was carrying it down to the theater for one piece of trim i thought you know it would be really nice to have a cordless trim nailer ^_^