What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

9 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Aviva insisted I post another pic without sweat stains. She did a great job on her doors. 

Oh goodness, tell that lovely person that none of us expect anyone to be without sweat all the time. Glad you told her you were posting her. Glad she is proud of her effort. 

On 2/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Chestnut said:

I cut my sheet into 4 foot lengths as that made processing everything easier and multiple parts fit nicely within a 4 foot length. If you are painting you could get away with not doing full length parts.

I used 18 ga nails that were 5/8" long. I also used PU glue as a little extra holding power. There was paint underneath and I didn't feel like striping back to wood so i didn't use regular wood glue.

When you used the PU glue did you wet the surface at all? I'm hesitant to get the hardboard doors wet.

Ended up being able to rip them all in my basement without opening up a door. Spent a solid 2.5 hours over 2 days ripping everything. My wife primed the back of a couple of doors last night but limited space is really going to drag this project on.

I did wet the doors but the surface was painted. Even the hardboard should be able to withstand a quick wipe from a damp rag. I don't think you need to soak the surface it's just to provide some moisture. On the bare wood it was barely enough to make the wood look wet and everything bonded very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Today I was in a hanger, on a lift 80' in the air, .....

Just reading that was stressful for me! There was a time when I could keep my cool, stretched full out in an 80' lift, but now the thought of it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

But you were in a 24384mm lift, right? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Just reading that was stressful for me! There was a time when I could keep my cool, stretched full out in an 80' lift, but now the thought of it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

But you were in a 24384mm lift, right? ;)

Yep, makes all the difference. Doesn't matter how many mm's cause they're so tiny.

Actually, I find that the older I get, the less heights bother me. With this job, it didn't bother me being way up there, it was what would happen if I dropped something on that plane :o

• Like 2

Last summer i rented a 40 foot lift to do tree work. It takes some time in those lifts to get used to them and build confidence. 80 feet would be a hard pass from me though. I'm not a fan of heights and standing on a tall lander is enough to get me nervous most days.

8 hours ago, drzaius said:

it was what would happen if I dropped something on that plane

They have to be able to withstand some impact force. Birds, hail, other debris but i wouldn't want to find out.