What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

21 hours ago, Coop said:

Drew, what kind of tile are you having that much trouble drilling holes into?

Institutional kitchen wall tiles are the hardest I’ve found to drill into. But even those we’ve learned to break the glaze by using the point of a slot headed screw driver and give it a whack with a hammer. After that, then a good masonry bit and hammer drill gets the job done. The glaze itself is what’s hard to penetrate.

Ceramic bathrrom tile not the institutional kind. I'm not using the drill in hammer mode because I'm worried about cracking the tile. Should I not worry about that? I'm using a carbide drill bit that is labeled for tile. I only have 4 more holes left so i'll probably finish with what i've got cause it did work, just slowly.

14 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Ceramic bathrrom tile not the institutional kind. I'm not using the drill in hammer mode because I'm worried about cracking the tile. Should I not worry about that? I'm using a carbide drill bit that is labeled for tile. I only have 4 more holes left so i'll probably finish with what i've got cause it did work, just slowly.

Grip it and rip it! 
I start out slow, but once it gets a mice divot I go pretty fast. Haven’t ever had a tile crack on me except the one time the hole placement left about 1/16 of material left on the edge. But I do always have a slight fear that they will crack.

Used my 084 today. That thing is a beast. Cut through some big oak logs like butter. Then had a big stack of longer logs and just sliced through the whole pile. 

808EDD68-4D14-483E-8605-7F07FAD0434D.thumb.jpeg.b0006c24e3d1c39297ec557e82df4d85.jpeg

Also picked up a log splitter and split a bunch of wood.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Use your drill in hammer mode and make sure the tip of the bit is in contact with the tile when you start drilling. Watch your angle, it must be very close to 90º when you start drilling.

I use Bosch multiconstruction drill bits for tiles (they have blue stripes). As most construction drill bits, they have tungsten carbide particles on the tip (also known as Widia).

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

I ordered a tractor yesterday! Headed back on Monday to pay for it. They have it in stock but will have to get it ready and install a couple options. Hopefully not long before delivery. Got a bush hog, pallet forks, and box blade with it.

What did you get John? I have had a JD 4115 compact utility tractor for about 15 years it comes in real handy. I have the same components although I sold my box blade several years ago and now just have a single blade. The bucket, pallet forks and brush hog are used quite regularly around here.

Kubota LX2610su. I wanted something big enough to do what I need it to, but small enough to navigate the woods and not destroy the lawn when driving over it. Had been leaning toward the B2601 but the sales guy (good friend of a friend) talked me into the LX. Slightly bigger frame and capacities, but not too big and without all the emissions stuff of the next size up. 

Considered a tiller for getting our garden started, but I might just rent that since it will be used very occasionally. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnG said:

Kubota LX2610su. I wanted something big enough to do what I need it to, but small enough to navigate the woods and not destroy the lawn when driving over it. Had been leaning toward the B2601 but the sales guy (good friend of a friend) talked me into the LX. Slightly bigger frame and capacities, but not too big and without all the emissions stuff of the next size up. 

Considered a tiller for getting our garden started, but I might just rent that since it will be used very occasionally. 

Nice!! I bet you will love it. I will be using mine with the 48" blower to do the driveway in the morning :)

• Like 1