What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 12/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, Chestnut said:

I've been working on some shop storage. These will eventually be drawers. I was going to make the drawers right away but a good friend of mine had sewer backup. I put my project on pause to help him as his wife is due to have their first child any day now.

1222201934-01.thumb.jpeg.2280627a3f578a67573fcb556b546bb2.jpeg

That was a short Covid safe honeymoon! :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

I made a holder for my beading tool blades. Each slot can hold upto 3 blades.

20201226_125338.thumb.jpg.c8b5d020c1ae33549ca0d3ac9c8eec07.jpg

Great storage solution!

Couple of questions for you; First how do you sharpen the beading tools? With a file? Also what's the red jig for / about?

1 hour ago, Immortan D said:

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Couple of questions for you; First how do you sharpen the beading tools? With a file? Also what's the red jig for / about?

The red thing is a Woodpeckers ruler stop.

The beading blades are scrapers, all they usually need is a couple of passes laying flat on a honing stone. You may need a ceramic stick or a dowel with sandpaper if you have to touch or clean the profiles, but I haven't used them enough to need that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Nothing wrong with a basement shop. I think that space looks pretty good. Put it to work and plan the future shop to be done right when you have the ability.

No complaints about the basement setup, just a change in the plan timeline. I had been holding off doing a lot of setup in the basement thinking we were going to build sooner. The basement has some definite advantages like the bathroom with utility sink and no climate control needed. It’s a decent size and I have easy access to the breaker panel, which reminds me that I need to run some additional circuits. I just have to be more aware of dust (which is a good thing) and sound to some extent (kids).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’ve often read if you wait to have children until the time is right, you will be childless. They are priceless, regardless of what you tell yourself after they turn 2 yo. :D

There is no right time. I just don't want to have to remodel a laundry room with a poop machine churning out a mountain of dirty clothing.

• Haha 2

Lordy! When my daughter was born in 1970, we used cloth diapers. Think Porta-A-Can cleaners, three times over. Then came the advent of a diaper service, still not a preferred occupation. Thank goodness that when in 1975, when our son was born, there were disposable diapers available.