What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

My favorite rental place rents stump grinders with tracks.  It works really well, but they don't take all the work out of it.

One thing I found out was to get on the other side of the stump, as soon as possible.  That lets the chips fly out away from the stump.  If you just go into the near side, the chips pile up, and you keep digging through them.

The trouble with Pine stumps is that they have a big tap root.  Its not possible to get all of one of them up, like you can a hardwood, that has all the roots on top of the ground.  I get an excavator to dig up Pine stumps, or it takes 8 or 9 years here for the tap root to rot, and you keep getting a bigger, and bigger hole.

I forget what these rent for, but it comes with the trailer for something around 200 a day.

Sorry, no time to flip the pic right now.

IMG_2462.JPG

41 minutes ago, JohnG said:

I bought a tormek a week or so ago and finally set it up this morning. I’m hoping to have time to try it out more tonight, but I used in on a couple of my beater chisels and I like it so far. I set it up in a spot that will be convenient to hit the strop wheel as needed.

I have had mine for 8yrs, and really like it, but..I hate dealing with the water.   I replaced my grinding wheel with this CBN wheel and eliminated the water mess.  

33 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have had mine for 8yrs, and really like it, but..I hate dealing with the water.   I replaced my grinding wheel with this CBN wheel and eliminated the water mess.  

What’s wrong with the water? Just having to top it off occasionally?

3 hours ago, Askland09 said:

Got some shopping done today 

B71BF598-3C75-46B9-85C8-7C928EAFE056.thumb.jpeg.c673e5091724e476c1781f6c168bed24.jpeg

Hickory, Spalted Hackberry, Sycamore, Walnut, and some Elm under the walnut. Going to be a busy Summer.

The qtr sawn Sycamore is some fine looking wood and great to work with. The hickory and walnut make a nice pairing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

No, I ended up having to put a large tray underneath the grinder to contain the water spills.  It may depend on what you sharpen but any blade that extends past the edge of the water tray dripped and made a mess.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnG said:

I set it up in a spot that will be convenient to hit the strop wheel as needed.

I set mine this way also.  I am pretty new with mine but have found that letting up on the pressure you use toward the end of sharpening a tool it gives you a nicer polish.  Tormek has a pretty useful forum for information when you are learning.

• Thanks 1

I wish I'd never sold my Tormek.  I had one of the older models.  After I bought a CBN wheel, I didn't use the Tormek for several years, so let it go, and then found out, the hard way (makes too much mess), that I shouldn't be dry grinding in the old Museum houses I worked on.

I've been tempted to buy the newest model, but don't really need one right now, so am hoping they'll come out with one with a reverse.

13 hours ago, JohnG said:

You'll want to empty the water between sessions and it's full of stone dust.  And that stone dust can settle in your pipes.  But if you want the advantages of a wet stone the stone is going to have to be wet :).

If I were going back to Tormek I'd explore pouring the stone water through some filter (cheese cloth?).

I sold my Tormek, too.  It was just too slow at removing a lot of metal for reshaping lathe tools, but there are times I miss it.

Worked on the evinrude 9.5 motor last night. Everything is loose and works . I could verify one spark of two spark plugs.  I'm really fighting a bass boat conversion. I'm trying to figure a 1/4 torsion box with storage on the boat to keep weight down. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, Coop said:

The qtr sawn Sycamore is some fine looking wood and great to work with. The hickory and walnut make a nice pairing. 

I'm really excited to work with the Sycamore, unfortunately do not have a plan for it yet but I'm sure I'll find something.  The walnut is for my mom's new dining table that she's been wanting for about 15 years now :lol:.  The hickory will be some new shelving for her laundry room (still working out the details for this), and the spalted material is going to be used in some new living room furniture for my living room.  Should be a very busy summer none the less

I put a game camera out to try and figure out what was leaving piles of poo in my tree row. It may be a racoon or it may also be this guy.

2021-05-11.thumb.jpg.9701e4a6cbb89cdd095ee6133de45ac6.jpg

The time and date got messed up. This is right around 1am. It's interesting to catch an urban coyote on camera. I knew they were in the area but never realized they were literally in my back yard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It's interesting to catch an urban coyote on camera.

Thats pretty cool.  I have seen a lot up close will camping here in CA.  They'll wonder by like your not even there sometimes.

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I put a game camera out to try and figure out what was leaving piles of poo in my tree row. It may be a racoon or it may also be this guy.

2021-05-11.thumb.jpg.9701e4a6cbb89cdd095ee6133de45ac6.jpg

The time and date got messed up. This is right around 1am. It's interesting to catch an urban coyote on camera. I knew they were in the area but never realized they were literally in my back yard.

Wow that's pretty cool to get a shot like that! I'm almost scared to think what goes across our yard we hear them all the time but I have never noticed the droppings in the yard 

When we lived in SoCal I got within 10-20ft of a coyote a couple times. 
Here I haven’t had any encounters as close but have gotten some good trail camera pictures/videos. Got some recently with 5 or 6 of them in frame at the same time. 

• Like 2